Various features to be added

Feature requests for VLC.
R A V E N
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Various features to be added

Postby R A V E N » 20 Mar 2009 21:31

Maybe I`ll repeat something,but I am considering to abandon much beloved Winamp for VLCMP.However,here are some improvements I think VLCMP should have:

1.file tags,like ID3 in .mp3 files aren`t read automatically when file is added to the playlist
2.lenght of file isn`t read also
3.if there is ID3v2 tag,ID3v1 is ignored
3.playlist should be realised inside main window,not as separate window
4.there should be panel inside playlist which displays file tgas as user clicks on them or as program plays them(OK,even Winamp does not have this feature :wink: ).

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Various features to be added

Postby VLC_help » 21 Mar 2009 17:19

1.file tags,like ID3 in .mp3 files aren`t read automatically when file is added to the playlist
There is option called Automatically preparse files (default enabled), you have it enabled?
2.lenght of file isn`t read also
Difficult to make this work always. All network streams don't have length.

R A V E N
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby R A V E N » 22 Mar 2009 02:48

5. ID3v1 and IDv2 tags should be editable

1. and 2.: I posted about it in appropriate forum.

R A V E N
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby R A V E N » 23 Mar 2009 07:17

6. As I saw, program is able to partially show file info while playing Youtube stream.It would be cool if it could fetch entire file description from Youtube and display it inside some kind of panel.

R A V E N
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby R A V E N » 07 Apr 2009 12:34

7.It would be cool if program could remember last directory used when opening file via Ctrl+O.Now,by default,it is always My Documents folder.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Apr 2009 21:15

Already fixed in 1.0.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Metshrine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Metshrine » 30 May 2009 16:10

Is it fixed? I have been using 1.0 RC1, RC2 and various nightly builds and it does not appear to be fixed.... This is HIGHLY annoying.

Metshrine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Metshrine » 08 Jun 2009 02:43

Any info admin?

vlc_fan-01
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 08 Jun 2009 17:26

3.playlist should be realised inside main window,not as separate window
4.there should be panel inside playlist which displays file tgas as user clicks on them or as program plays them(OK,even Winamp does not have this feature :wink: ).
3. I like, on another media player I used to have the option to keep the playlist as a separate window or attach it to the main window (MPUI). I like the VLC playlist as a separate window but an option to attacxh it to the main window would be nice option also.
Also requested here, looks like it may be makking 1.1 release - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59367

4. I think this is steadily coming... VLC devs on the bug trac have frequently mentioned the open-source Taglib library which I presume is coming to VLC soon.
Any info admin?
Don't worry be patient....these are not major things you requested and I agree with you on em. But developers of most popular apps out there (such as VLC) are constantly inundated with requests, takes time yer know :wink:
7.It would be cool if program could remember last directory used when opening file via Ctrl+O.Now,by default,it is always My Documents folder.
I definitely agree with this one, I think two options could be implemented. 1st to remember last Open directory (open file) and then 2nd to set a custom path for VLC to always look in e.g. C:\my websites . The first option is more important and comes first - they would go nicely in Preferences>Interface

I will fill it as a bug for you :o
Last edited by vlc_fan-01 on 09 Jun 2009 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

Metshrine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Metshrine » 09 Jun 2009 02:54

Not a major request? Have you tried browsing media stored on a computer only to have to rebrowse to the folder containing your files each and every time you use the open file dialog? This was supposedly fixed, as stated above by the administrator, yet none of the nightly, trunk or RC builds include said fix. It is VERY annoying.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 09 Jun 2009 03:35

Not a major request? Have you tried browsing media stored on a computer only to have to rebrowse to the folder containing your files each and every time you use the open file dialog? This was supposedly fixed, as stated above by the administrator, yet none of the nightly, trunk or RC builds include said fix. It is VERY annoying.
I understand. When I said "it's not major" I meant that it wouldn't require a lot of work, in fact I was refering to each and all requests by the first poster.

I myself am using a latest 1.0 nightly build and have not seen this feature (remember open file) apparent, not yet, sadly

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 09 Jun 2009 04:04

I definitely agree with this one, I think two options could be implemented. 1st to remember last Open directory (open file) and then 2nd to set a custom path for VLC to always look in e.g. C:\my websites . The first option is more important and comes first - they would go nicely in Preferences>Interface
Presumably the bug you filled :) (just posting for reference):
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2851

A good idea. I think this is meant to be fixed, still does not appear to work though (haven't tried latest RC build however). Rémi made commit a couple of months ago:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=co ... acb86ef7ff

Which indicates that it should go to the last visited directory, and if there is none default to the home directory (My Documents or /home/(user)).

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 09 Jun 2009 04:32

Yes that's correct Arite,

And you found my bug request :) I filled because I care and only just realised, when Opening a file in VLC, that it's needed. I keep forgetting that VLC is fundamentally cross-platform and not just benfiting us Windows users.

I may have to edit that bug I filled to include ALL the Open /browse dialogs througout VLC which will also include in Preferences when opeing a new skin:- It's damn annoying that I keep getting to 'My Documents' when it SHOULD maintain my desired skins folder directory.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 09 Jun 2009 16:17

Metshrine
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Metshrine » 17 Jun 2009 01:18

Please note that this is NOT fixed yet. Admin, any word? This is highly annoying.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 17 Jun 2009 20:59

Please note that this is NOT fixed yet. Admin, any word? This is highly annoying.
Dude chill. This is people investing their free time here. try to be a little bit more considerate toward their volunteer effort.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Jun 2009 00:41

Is it fixed? I have been using 1.0 RC1, RC2 and various nightly builds and it does not appear to be fixed.... This is HIGHLY annoying.
Fixed completly in 1.0.0 (not RC4)
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 30 Jun 2009 04:18

Yes the feature of remembering last Opened directory in win32 is in 1.1 nightly builds sure to make final :)

thnx j-b and all dev team

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”