Native 1394 support ?

Feature requests for VLC.
forart.it
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Native 1394 support ?

Postby forart.it » 31 Jan 2009 20:06

I just earned about the interesting CMU 1394 Digital Camera Driver project that claims:
We provide a free driver as well as a C++ software library for cameras that comply with the 1394 Digital Camera Specification as published by the 1394 Trade Association http://www.1394ta.org. It is a fast, easy way to gain direct access to camera imagery and direct control of camera features.
The result of our efforts is a C/C++ software library (DLL) that works with any compliant camera running on Windows 98 SE or later.

In its current incarnation, the software provides a simple interface acquiring images, the ability to manipulate any available camera feature, and a tight, clean API. The software has been thoroughly tested on only a few cameras (Sony DFW-V500,VL500, Pyro Webcam), but there is nothing coded specifically for these cameras and the driver should work with any other compliant camera. The distribution also includes complete source for a demo application (MFC) that demonstrates the functionality of the library.
I honestly don't know if this can help in any way (i'm not a developer), but at least i hope that inspires...
>>Forward Agency
In progress we (always) trust.

ivoire
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: trunk
Operating System: linux (debian sid)

Re: Native 1394 support ?

Postby ivoire » 01 Feb 2009 17:13

If this kind of camera arn't already working with vlc, the problem is more to find someone with this kind of camera who want to do it !

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 02 Feb 2009 14:11

It seems Win32 only.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 03 Feb 2009 19:34

Generally all cameras using Firewire(IEEE 1394) should be using DV, so the first thing to see is if this camera is working with other applications that support DV input. If it isn't then find a general driver for the camera that will let it be seen as a DV source.
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”