Bluetooth headset RC

Feature requests for VLC.
Aqualung
Cone that earned his stripes

Bluetooth headset RC

Postby Aqualung » 23 Nov 2007 20:08

Someone please write a plugin (or even better, incorporate that natively in VLC) so that we can remote control VLC playback using bluetooth headsets. That, as far as I am concerned, is the most annoying thing about VLC--which is to say, keep up the good work! :)

Aqualung

Re: Bluetooth headset RC

Postby Aqualung » 01 Dec 2007 10:19

C'mon folks, nobody? :cry:

vlc_fan-01

Postby vlc_fan-01 » 02 Dec 2007 13:52

I am in full support and this would be a cool and unique feature.

But Correct me if I am wrong but for any software to communicate with hardware and non wired hardware such as a Bluetooth headset it will requre the installation of drivers otherwise a dependecy on third party software such as Bluesoleil (which I have myself). I don't think VLC wants to move in that direction now but it certainly will take a whole lotta of work and testing.
My posts =for my click only=

"Don't blame me, I didn't do it" - Krusty the Clown

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 09 Dec 2007 22:30

But Correct me if I am wrong but for any software to communicate with hardware and non wired hardware such as a Bluetooth headset it will requre the installation of drivers otherwise a dependecy on third party software such as Bluesoleil (which I have myself). I don't think VLC wants to move in that direction now but it certainly will take a whole lotta of work and testing.
Hardware manufacturers offer development kits, like the one here: http://www.broadcom.com/products/bluetooth_sdk.php. I'm thinking a few commands (playback, pause, skip to next track, go back to previous track and stop) should be no skin off VLC developers' backs.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 17 Oct 2008 14:33

Any news on this front?

Time for Bluetooth support guys! :)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 17 Oct 2008 18:43

If youe bluetooth stack can convert your bluetooth devices keypresses to normal keyboard keys, you can bind them from preferences.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 17 Oct 2008 19:29

If you bluetooth stack can convert your bluetooth devices keypresses to normal keyboard keys
Now how would I find that out? Like many others out there, I got the latest Widcomm/Broadcom stack: does this info help?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 18 Oct 2008 19:26

If there isn't options in stack, you can use http://www.eventghost.org eventghost to bind BT buttons as keyboard keys.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 18 Oct 2008 23:20

If there isn't options in stack, you can use http://www.eventghost.org eventghost to bind BT buttons as keyboard keys.
Sounds good, I'll give it a try and report back. Maybe this'll finally help me get rid of WMP as default media player.

It wouldn't hurt, though, to have this sort of feature supported natively :)

hschulze
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hschulze » 23 Oct 2008 07:13

I found that my WinXP bluetooth stack got clobbered by XPSP2, seems a common issue with M$. Although I haven't tried it lately (where did I put that tiny USB-BT module?) the latest earpieces are really cool, small, and you can wear for a long time. Some of the BT devices can even transmit up to like 100+ feet, which makes walking around really easy in most houses.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any generic BT stack support in the M$ OS/s, although I would have hoped that the VISTA laptop I borrowed 9 months ago's BT would have worked, it didn't, but then again it was a prerelease model, and VISTA still had a lot of holes. There is supposedly an MS part of a stack, anyone know about it?

Anyone else had more luck with the BT stack?

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 23 Oct 2008 09:44

Just reporting back: I managed to make it work via EventGhost! See http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=1040 for details. Now if I could only figure out how to enable and configure the RC interface in VLC: any tutorials out there for v0.9.4? Also, it looks like the required EventGhost VLC plugin was written with an older VLC version in mind (0.8.6?), which may not work with 0.9.x...

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Oct 2008 15:49

Aqualung: RC interface can be enabled http://getluky.net/2006/04/19/vlcs-awes ... interface/ like that.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 23 Oct 2008 19:45

Aqualung: RC interface can be enabled http://getluky.net/2006/04/19/vlcs-awes ... interface/ like that.
Is there no other way to enable that for good in the settings/preferences somewhere? I will be dealing with it remotely via Bluetooth, and it's really hard to work in command line using a Bluetooth remote, much less using Bluetooth headsets :lol:

I see, on the other hand, two classes of options in "Preferences": "Control interfaces" and "Main interfaces." I don't suppose that the setting I am interested in resides anywhere in any of these? ... And while we're at it, I didn't manage to find much documentation regarding these two classes of options: could you point me to the documentation? Whatever documentation I managed to find seems to have been designed for older VLC versions (0.8.x), and I didn't find it really useful.

Many thanks for your input!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Oct 2008 10:52

You can enable it also from GUI.
Tools -> Preferences... (Show settings: All) Interface -> Main interfaces and tick Remote control interface and restart VLC.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 28 Oct 2008 14:39

You can enable it also from GUI.
Tools -> Preferences... (Show settings: All) Interface -> Main interfaces and tick Remote control interface and restart VLC.
Thanks. I did, but I suppose there's some other configuring involved, as it's not really working. I don't suppose there's any recent documentation as to how configure the RC displayed anywhere on the web, is it?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 28 Oct 2008 15:50

You cannot telnet to RC interface?

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 01 Nov 2008 09:52

You cannot telnet to RC interface?
How would I be doing that from my Bluetooth headset?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 01 Nov 2008 18:38

RC interface is network control interface, not the one for your bluetooth remote.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 01 Nov 2008 23:14

RC interface is network control interface, not the one for your bluetooth remote.
Again, what I was trying to do was to control VLC playback using my Bluetooth headphones/remote control via EventGhost's VLC plugin. I enabled VLC's RC interface but it doesn't work, which makes me think that there may be an undocumented configuration step that I may be missing. I was, hence, asking for some instructions on how to configure VLC's RC interface. I have not been able to find such documentation on the web.

Otherwise, how would I be telneting to VLC's interface? What's the IP address to which I would be telneting to?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Nov 2008 09:47

IP address is your computers IP address.
AFAIK you use EventGhost to bind your remote keys as multimedia keys and then use VLC hotkey section to use those multimedia keys to control features you want.

mellop
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mellop » 05 Nov 2008 17:45

WOW does anyone have a quick and uncomplicated solution for this, I have the Interlink 6600r remote bluetooth and need to get it working on VLC, I am happy to pay for this fix or add on ???

mellop
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mellop » 05 Nov 2008 17:55

Hello has anyone made a fix or add on for this feature, I have just purchased a new computer with this Blutooth Remote and it does not work on VLC - It turns the volume down but can not pause, ff stop, etc.

Any help or simple instructions would be greatly appreciated, I am happy to pay for this service or for someone to help me.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”