My stupid feature requests

Feature requests for VLC.
Beaujames
New Cone
New Cone

My stupid feature requests

Postby Beaujames » 03 Nov 2004 02:12

1. A way to completely disable audio resampling in the prefences
2. Windows defaults should be changed to windows standards. (quit=alt+F4, fullscreen=Alt+enter)
3. allow Different video options for when video is always on top. (normally i like video to automatically change size per video, but when video always on top is used, I like it to stay the same size no matter the resolution of the video in the playlist.)
4. Mixing audio for more speakers. Number of speakers should be set in prefeneces or detect the option set in the windows control panel.
5. A way to play a video in it's naitive resolution in fullscreen would be nice. most good video cards and CRTs should be able to handle this.
6. A prefence to automatically use subtitles when available. (edit i gues you can do this already)
7. Many videos have labels for different audio/video/subtitle tracks, it would be nice if VLC could detect and use them.

My stupid bug list with 0.7.2
1. VLC crashes often when changing files in the playlist (loop is enabled.) It happens ~ every 20 files.
2. M3U playlists saved by VLC and loaded by VLC have folders as enteries every other item. (folder cannot be played and skips it)
3. Sometimes when Fullscreen is used the window resizes and is placed in front of the fullscreen video, so you have a big grey VLC window in front of the video. You have then click on the video in the background for it to go away. (This happens when changing files in the playlist in fullscreen)
4. Pressing delete twice in the playlist clears the entire playlist instead of the first thing selected and what should be automatically selected afterwards. (if this is a feature, i don't like it. it is not how most playlists behave..)

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 04 Nov 2004 00:05

1. A way to completely disable audio resampling in the prefences
This can be done, but would also disable playback of many files on many soundcards. Belive me, resampling was added out of necessity. Another issue is that vlc resample too often. This is a bug/structural problem which will be adressed at a later point.
2. Windows defaults should be changed to windows standards. (quit=alt+F4, fullscreen=Alt+enter)
You can change this to whatever you like in the preferences. For support reasons it is better to have same defaults everywhere. This may of course change at some later point.
3. allow Different video options for when video is always on top. (normally i like video to automatically change size per video, but when video always on top is used, I like it to stay the same size no matter the resolution of the video in the playlist.)
I thought vlc preferences allready were a mess. :)
5. A way to play a video in it's naitive resolution in fullscreen would be nice. most good video cards and CRTs should be able to handle this.
Most videos are in quite strange resolutions. No lcd screens handle this, and many videocards have problems with this. Most videocards have hw scalers that perform just as well as changing the actual resolution.
6. A prefence to automatically use subtitles when available. (edit i gues you can do this already)
Yes you can, so why do you ask?
[7. Many videos have labels for different audio/video/subtitle tracks, it would be nice if VLC could detect and use them./quote]
Vlc do this for mkv at least. If you have other examples please be a bit more specific.

Please try again with 0.8.0. Reporting bugs for old versions are just throwing away developers time.

Finally let me say I'm sorry for being a jackass in this reply, but I just couldn't resist.

Beaujames
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Beaujames » 04 Nov 2004 08:53

You can change this to whatever you like in the preferences. For support reasons it is better to have same defaults everywhere. This may of course change at some later point.
I know the hotkeys can be changed, but the defaults should be changed. I think it was like this in some earlier release, and I don't think it is nesesary for "support reasons" how many people ask how to close vlc or make it full screen in the forums?
I thought vlc preferences allready were a mess. :)
I like it to stay the same size... the preferences could be alot worse then they already are, Im sure.
Most videos are in quite strange resolutions. No lcd screens handle this, and many videocards have problems with this. Most videocards have hw scalers that perform just as well as changing the actual resolution.
I know they are in strange resos and I know lcds couldn't handle it, my old card could handle custom resos, but not hardware scaling, of anykind. (it was really slow fullscreen)
Yes you can, so why do you ask?
I edited the post... I forgotten that thing in the preferences..
[7. Many videos have labels for different audio/video/subtitle tracks, it would be nice if VLC could detect and use them.
Vlc do this for mkv at least. If you have other examples please be a bit more specific.
I have some OGM files that have named subtitle tracks that appear as "english" and "director comentary" in zoom player but appear as subtitle track 1 and 2 in vlc.

Please try again with 0.8.0. Reporting bugs for old versions are just throwing away developers time.
I posted this the day before they released 0.8.0 lol I hear 0.8.0 fixes some of the resampling issues... when i have the time to upgrade I will.
Finally let me say I'm sorry for being a jackass in this reply, but I just couldn't resist.
No you weren't a jackass. After all I was the one that said it was a stupid list :P

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”