Remember bookmarks after VLC is closed

Feature requests for VLC.
t00ms
New Cone
New Cone

Remember bookmarks after VLC is closed

Postby t00ms » 16 Jul 2007 14:31

- The bookmarks you create inside a media file (using the bookmark tool) should be stored in a "bookmark file" (for example in the VLC application directory) to remember the bookmarks even after you close VLC.
- The bookmarks should be assigned to the file based on the media file extension + the file size + media caracteristics (video resolution, codecs used etc...) + approximate file name (so when you rename the file (add the name of the film maker, remove the dots, etc) the bookmarks will still be related to the good file) but not based on the path where the media file is stored (so when you move it, burn it etc the bookmarks will not be lost).
We could also think of a way to recognise the video independently to it's filename by storing in the "bookmark file" a couple of bytes taken from the media file (from the middle of the media file for example, from the middle+the end, or from any other offset combination in the media file that avoids the common headers that would make many files look the same).

sylock
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Remember bookmarks after VLC is closed

Postby sylock » 22 Apr 2008 18:39

I add my voice to this request.

On a first step, it would be great if bookmarks were saved even with the path of the video.
But I agree that a solution based on the content of the video to keep bookmarks whether the file is would be so great (but I don't ask so much).

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Remember bookmarks after VLC is closed

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Apr 2008 02:35

Mail phytos@ VIA dot ecp dot FR for those ideas.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”