Context Menus

Feature requests for VLC.
CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Re: Context Menus

Postby CloudStalker » 30 Sep 2007 17:01

Slight problem with this. Has anyone else noticed that when using the context menu to add an entire folder it now loads everything in the playlist upside down?

asdufisn

Postby asdufisn » 02 Oct 2007 06:35

Hi, I am also seeing this problem in 0.8.6c. I only see the 2 context menu items when clicking on directories but not files. I also did not check the File Associations box during the install.

I'm a little confused about what was fixed. Did you fix it so that the context menu items will appear for files even if you don't check the File Associations box during the install, or did you fix the install so that you cannot check the Context Menu box without also checking the File Associations box?

Any idea when the next release will be? Thanks.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 26 Oct 2007 23:46

Is there a fix yet on the whole "Add to VLC media player" loading things in the playlist almost randomly and sometimes upside down?

Aqualung
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Aqualung » 23 Nov 2007 20:19

The context menus seem to work when I'm selecting a folder, I get the usual play with VLC player and add to VLC playlist etc. However I don't get this when I'm selecting a media file. Anyone know how to fix this?
Alright, so what's the conclusion on this one? Will it show up in the next official release? It certainly isn't there in 0.86c.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 24 Nov 2007 14:12

It will be found in the next official release and can already be found in the nightly builds.
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 01 Dec 2007 12:35

It will be found in the next official release and can already be found in the nightly builds.
Just installed the latest version 0.8.6d. Sorry, I'm not getting any VLC context menu options whatsoever, at least not in Vista 64.

P.S. Let me note that some SW developers (Symantec, among others) have difficulties with the 64 bit Windows Explorer extensions (or they simply just forgot to write them). Note that Vista 64 has both a 32-bit and a 64-bit Windows Explorer, and it may be that VLC 0.8.6d may have been integrated with the 32 bit Windows Explorer (didn't bother to check), but it certainly is not integrated with the 64 bit Explorer.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 01 Dec 2007 12:47

it will be in 0.9.0 and not 0.8.6.d, the d version is just a bugfix.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 01 Dec 2007 19:58

it will be in 0.9.0 and not 0.8.6.d, the d version is just a bugfix.
Thank you. When will that be please? Anyway, keep up the good work! :wink:

kekelka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kekelka » 24 Dec 2007 10:55

oh guys ...ty for help i was interesting this question too... :D :D :D

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 29 Jan 2008 02:26

bump

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 29 Jan 2008 20:45

Why bump?

bugmenot
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bugmenot » 19 Feb 2008 05:45

Hi,

So what exactly was fixed here? One guy didn't know why you would want to separate the context menus from the file associations. Well what if I want to install VLC as my backup player, so I don't want any files to be associated with it. But I still want to be able to right click on a file and see the "Play with VLC" option. Is that what you guys fixed?

Thanks.

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby 3breadt » 19 Feb 2008 09:22

It was fixed that when you right click on media files that you do not only have the option "Play in VLC" but also "Add to playlist" like when your right click on folders. The separation of file-association & context menu entries were already kept separated before.

bugmenot
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bugmenot » 20 Feb 2008 05:51

Ah, but if I right click on any media file, I do not see either "Play in VLC" or "Add to playlist". That is because when I did the install, I unchecked the File Associations box. It would be nice to see those options when you right click without having to do any file associations.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 20 Feb 2008 22:29

During the Install there's a seperate option for Context Menus and this should allow for those two options without the File Associations, It doesn't work this way?

James
New Cone
New Cone

Postby James » 21 Feb 2008 08:07

or you can enable 'one instance' mode, and that way when you open a file it'll be added to the playlist of the first instance of vlc.

bugmenot
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bugmenot » 04 Mar 2008 05:49

During the Install there's a seperate option for Context Menus and this should allow for those two options without the File Associations, It doesn't work this way?
That's the bug that we're talking about (at least the one that I've been talking about). In 0.8.6c, if you check the box for Context Menus, but uncheck the box for File Associations, then you don't get the context menu options. Apparently you only get them if you check both the Context Menu and File Associations boxes during the install. I was wondering if they had fixed that bug.

Aqualung

Postby Aqualung » 16 May 2008 22:23

Alright folks, lemme recapitulate: so we're supposed to get some VLC-specific context menu options, like "Play with VLC" and "Add to playlist," or thereabouts. Well, on Vista Ultimate x64, with the latest VLC version installed (0.8.6f), I'm not getting any of these. :cry:

C'mon! Is it really that hard to fix this? I know ... you developers have more important issues to deal with ... there's no time to devote to frivolous requests like this ... the great unwashed can wait ... and all that. :roll:

Someone above said something about having to wait for ver. 0.9, and at the time it seemed like a reasonable resolution--hence I stopped complaining, and waited patiently. But now it seems like it's going to take forever.

wesker
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wesker » 03 Jan 2010 21:06

Hey guys,

First off I would like to thank you for a fantastic media player, I just love it. I am really happy with vlc, and just recently I have removed WMP from my context menu and I instantly thought "oh where is the option to turn on the context menu for vlc?" I ended up finding this thread. Upon reading it it seemed that the issue was unresolved.

I checked my VLC version and it was a later version. After updating to version 1.0.3 the problem was fixed. I had zero problems with VLC for so long I just never updated it.

Thanks again guys and I hope I put some "context" into the end of this thread for future readers..... :lol:

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”