Improve VLC to be a "theater player"

Feature requests for VLC.
mckenzie
New Cone
New Cone

Improve VLC to be a "theater player"

Postby mckenzie » 12 Sep 2007 14:51

Hi everyone!

I'd like some improvements which would make VLC just the perfect player for presentations or even theaters (or think about your personal movie presentation among friends). It's about the starting and ending of a video: VLC doesn't cover these parts of a multimedia presentation: It doesn't show anything before or after "the show" - except the annoying Windows Desktop crowded with more or less ordered icons.

I'd like to have some type of "background picture" feature. So VLC in a special mode, lets call it "presentation mode", would present the picture and waits for a key press or something to start the actual video. The background picture would e.g. fade black and the video would start. At the end of the video the background picture would be presented again (maybe with a nice fade-in), instead of quiting VLC back to desktop. One cloud even imagine to present the picture when the main video is paused.
Maybe the default picture would be the VLC logo.

When I imagine further, there should be some type of audio-playlist which plays while showing the picture (like in a movie theater, with lowered volume and again a nice fade-in).
Or you could allow looped videos instead of the background picture, like e.g. an animation of your logo.

A short-term approach would be just a black screen in front and behind the video, allowing you to go fullscreen and start your beamer. And VLC wouldn't drop back to desktop in front of the audience when the video reaches its end (MS PowerPoint e.g. stops at the presentations end with a final black sheet in full screen mode).

BugsB
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.4
Operating System: macOS 10.13.6

Re: Improve VLC to be a "theater player"

Postby BugsB » 12 Sep 2007 16:01

yes, I totally agree, great suggestions :!:

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 29 Jan 2008 02:31

and a good audio player

MegaMikeMan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MegaMikeMan » 07 Apr 2009 16:24

Just giving this a bump. This feature would not only be beneficial for users wanting to give presentations with VLC but also for users that have low-end computers. Since VLC starts playing immediately upon opening the desired file usually the audio gets ahead of the video and causes the player to skip frames (I know this can be disabled) and cause artifacts to appear. With this feature I would think my audio and video would begin at the same time. Also, holding the window size at the end of playback would be nice as well. Even if it's only a blank screen. This would prevent the player from having to change size again if the same video was played a second time.

Notes:
This seems to be the case with HD video and not SD video but I still believe it's a performance issue.
I may be missing a setting that prevents the video playing immediately at start-up, if so I apologize.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Apr 2009 21:17

Just giving this a bump. This feature would not only be beneficial for users wanting to give presentations with VLC but also for users that have low-end computers. Since VLC starts playing immediately upon opening the desired file usually the audio gets ahead of the video and causes the player to skip frames (I know this can be disabled) and cause artifacts to appear. With this feature I would think my audio and video would begin at the same time. Also, holding the window size at the end of playback would be nice as well. Even if it's only a blank screen. This would prevent the player from having to change size again if the same video was played a second time.

Notes:
This seems to be the case with HD video and not SD video but I still believe it's a performance issue.
I may be missing a setting that prevents the video playing immediately at start-up, if so I apologize.
Use VLC 1.0.0 and use the complete display mode in prefs.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

MegaMikeMan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MegaMikeMan » 07 Apr 2009 22:25

Thanks for the quick reply. I assume the date for 1.0 has been pushed back slightly from it March release window?

z32lex
New Cone
New Cone

Postby z32lex » 24 Feb 2011 14:06

I also would like VLC to end in black full screen as it once did automatically.

You say, "Use VLC 1.0.0 and use the complete display mode in prefs."

But I cannot find "Complete Display Mode" anywhere??

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”