Save the loaded (AVI)file

Feature requests for VLC.
Teddy3943
New Cone
New Cone

Save the loaded (AVI)file

Postby Teddy3943 » 02 Jun 2007 10:45

Sometimes VLC has to repair an AVI-file before it can be played. This takes sometimes a long time.

Is it possible to save the repaired and loaded file so that the next time VLC don't need to repair again before playing?

sirplus
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Save the loaded (AVI)file

Postby sirplus » 25 Jan 2009 16:51

Hi
Bumping an old thread

I too would like to be able to save the repaired file

How can I do this or can we please add this functionality...............?

Thanks in advance

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Jan 2009 18:52

http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-0.9 ... anently.3F
My suggestion is to use external tools for this.

sirplus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sirplus » 26 Jan 2009 00:57

http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-0.9 ... anently.3F
My suggestion is to use external tools for this.
thanks

Can this be added to vlc one day?

abvgd
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby abvgd » 11 Oct 2009 23:36

I thought I'd chime in here, instead of creating a separate topic...

I too would like a Save File button, the repaired AVI index is one situation where it's useful, another one is one I often encounter, namely:

When you enter a network file address in the standard Open dialogue box, the whole file is downloaded before the video is played (as opposed to opening it as a video stream). Problem is, after you've downloaded the whole file there is no way to tell where it's located on the HDD and even if you knew it would still be useful having a Save button. Even when not wanting to save the downloaded file, I prefer letting VLC download it because that way you don't get any stream hickups or freezes while you watch it or when you jump in the stream...

A third possible use of a Save button would be if you simply want to back up a local file you're watching onto some other location...

So, this Save feature would have its uses...

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Oct 2009 13:18

after you've downloaded the whole file there is no way to tell where it's located on the HDD
You mean you cannot find file which browser has downloaded?

abvgd
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby abvgd » 12 Oct 2009 17:29

VLC accepts network (http) links in the Open File dialogue box, I used to do that in MPC all the time although it doesn't look as neat in VLC because VLC unlike MPC leaves the file dialogue box open until the download is complete. Like I mentioned, this way the whole file is downloaded prior to VLC opening it, so you avoid network issues while watching the video (of course, this only works on downloadable files, not live streams and the likes)...

Edit: On a closer look, it seems that VLC opens the directory where the downloaded file is located if you go to Open File. From the Open File dialogue box, you can move the file somewhere else. Not the most elegant solution, but it does the job I guess...

rlmillster
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rlmillster » 08 Feb 2010 19:40

Another (free) open source option is to use Handbrake to transcode the AVI file. I think they only recently dropped support for *outputting* AVI files, but you can still use AVI files as a source.

Download Handbrake:

http://handbrake.fr/

Install and run, and either hit "source" or it will already be asking you to indicate a source, pick your avi file, and choose your output options (usually the defaults are fine). Hit go, and you will have a file which doesn't need fixing every time you open it.

PS. Three cheers to the VLC developers for creating the (IMO) best video playing software out there. I'll never use Quicktime again!

PPS. Similar laudatory comments towards Handbrake.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”