how to stream video

Just have a drink and chat
jarntzen
New Cone
New Cone

how to stream video

Postby jarntzen » 21 May 2006 19:23

I am an artist working in new media and would like to be able to present my video pieces on my website: http://www.jennyarntzen.com/. I have a short film 4:57 on that page and I would like it to load instantly and play, preferrably at a larger format than Quicktime web size. Is this possible? Or is this the best I can do?

Thanks, if anyone can help me with this.

simon
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby simon » 24 May 2006 22:22

Your upload speed is the limit of how fast the video loads. Try to get a higher upload speed, or find someone who already has a higher upload speed to host the video (youtube maybe). You could also try to compress the video in other formats too see if you get a big decrease in filesize.

jarntzen
New Cone
New Cone

factors for streaming video

Postby jarntzen » 27 May 2006 18:07

If I understand correctly, there are two factors that will affect how quickly the video will load:

1 - the upload speed of the server where the video is stored. I am using Doteasy.com. I see that youtube appears to be a place to put videos up, that might be a solution to my problem, if I can't sort out a way to do it from the server I am using.

2 - the compression format for the video - there may be a faster format. I'm working in iMovie and compressing into Quicktime formats. Is there a better way to do this?

simon

Re: factors for streaming video

Postby simon » 27 May 2006 22:40

If I understand correctly, there are two factors that will affect how quickly the video will load:

1 - the upload speed of the server where the video is stored. I am using Doteasy.com. I see that youtube appears to be a place to put videos up, that might be a solution to my problem, if I can't sort out a way to do it from the server I am using.
Embedding youtube videos
2 - the compression format for the video - there may be a faster format. I'm working in iMovie and compressing into Quicktime formats. Is there a better way to do this?
Experiment with the settings to see what gives you the smallest filesize while keeping quality, and plays in browsers.

Return to “Coffee Corner”