VLC online player

Just have a drink and chat
cinephile
New Cone
New Cone

VLC online player

Postby cinephile » 21 Jun 2016 04:19

Hey folks. Long time user of VLC media player here. I actually initially started using it back when it was FFMPEG. Ah, I remember it like it was yesterday. Then VLC came out, and I liked it much better. I believe that it is considered a fork of ffmpeg if I'm not mistaken?

Anyway, I was wondering if videolan would ever consider making an online version. vlc is currently my favorite video player, and I strongly despise using any other one, since none of them compare to vlc's performance. I currently have a youtube player on my site, but I'm forced to lazy load it, which causes terrible user-experience on mobile devices, like the iphone. Users are forced to essentially do a double tap in order to play the video.

I know that since videolan makes such a great software, it would prevent this egregious issue. This would especially make sense, as nodejs is starting to revolutionize how people are making applications. For instance, Github recently made something called Electron, which allows you to code using web languages, but make a desktop application. This is why I firmly believe that videolan should at least consider my suggestion. Cheers.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: VLC online player

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 28 Jun 2016 09:12

VLC embarks some FFMpeg code.

You cannot do an online player, because, you cannot do plugins in webbrowser anymore.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “Coffee Corner”