Santa hat icon?

Just have a drink and chat
thepeex
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Santa hat icon?

Postby thepeex » 02 Jan 2010 17:59

I don't care WHAT the icon changed to.
1. Any "easter egg" which permanently affects user preferences should provide notice. If the change is harmless and leaves no permanent effect requiring user intervention, it doesn't need notice.
2. Any "easter egg" which makes changes should undo itself cleanly, (in this case, restoring the user's icon associations). The nature of an "easter egg" done properly (as opposed to a logic bomb) is that it's harmless and leaves no permanent trace.

An "easter egg" which makes changes that a user has to "repair" cannot be reasonably called an "easter egg".
I hope a VLC primary developer takes responsibility and rips the broken thing out until it can be written correctly.

Remember when Microsoft, Real, and Netscape were blasted for pulling the same behind-the-back system preferences switches?
It did go away now... I guess it was for the whole gregorian x-mass to new-year portion, right?

lexein
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.19
Operating System: win/linux/mac

Postby lexein » 02 Jan 2010 18:02

1. Any "easter egg" which permanently affects user preferences should provide notice. If the change is harmless and leaves no permanent effect requiring user intervention, it doesn't need notice.
So, VLC's change is harmless. => No notice
You failed to comprehend the second requirement. VLC, by not restoring the original icon preferences, made a permanent change. So notice is required.
2. Any "easter egg" which makes changes should undo itself cleanly, (in this case, restoring the user's icon associations). The nature of an "easter egg" done properly (as opposed to a logic bomb) is that it's harmless and leaves no permanent trace.
Which is what VLC does. It is totally clean, doesn't do anything in your back and doesn't download anything. It doesn't even change your icon association.
VLC changed the icon. This affected every media file associated with VLC. Then VLC didn't revert this icon change - it left all those media files with an ugly default icon, breaking the user's preferences. Not what the user wanted.
This cannot be called "totally clean". ( Making changes without notice is clearly "behind my back". And I made no mention of downloading anything.)

An "easter egg" which makes changes that a user has to "repair" cannot be reasonably called an "easter egg".
VLC is not broken. And this is not an easter egg.
The definition of software "easter egg" is an unannounced, undocumented software feature.
What was the icon change then? An easter egg.
I hope a VLC primary developer takes responsibility and rips the broken thing out until it can be written correctly.
What? You are kidding...
Of course I'm not kidding. Why would I joke about removing a buggy feature until it can be fixed?
Remember when Microsoft, Real, and Netscape were blasted for pulling the same behind-the-back system preferences switches?
VLC is not done by a company, but by volunteers that do that on their free time...
Deal with it or go elsewhere with your hatred.
Any software development team (closed or open source, commercial or non-profit) is ultimately responsible to the users and the notion of best practices, and should not deliberately alter the user experience without notice or the ability to completely undo its effects. Even "volunteers" should do quality work, even on easter eggs.

j-b, in general I'm quite pleased with VLC, and its quality and stability, and growing feature set. I've reported on bugs with good documentation when I could. If I hated VLC, I really wouldn't be using it.

Really, this is just another bug (failure to fully restore all icon associations). It doesn't deserve to be defended.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Jan 2010 19:18

So, VLC's change is harmless. => No notice
You failed to comprehend the second requirement. VLC, by not restoring the original icon preferences, made a permanent change. So notice is required.
Says who ? Who decided this rule? You ?
And sorry, the change went away on 1st january.
Which is what VLC does. It is totally clean, doesn't do anything in your back and doesn't download anything. It doesn't even change your icon association.
VLC changed the icon. This affected every media file associated with VLC.
No it didn't. It changed the icon in the interface. Not the media files icon in the system.
Then VLC didn't revert this icon change - it left all those media files with an ugly default icon, breaking the user's preferences. Not what the user wanted.
This cannot be called "totally clean". ( Making changes without notice is clearly "behind my back". And I made no mention of downloading anything.)
Wrong again. It changed the icon in the interface and it reverted back at 1st january. It didn't change ANYTHING in media files icons or associations.
VLC is not broken. And this is not an easter egg.
The definition of software "easter egg" is an unannounced, undocumented software feature.
What was the icon change then? An easter egg.
Did you know you could screencast with VLC? Did you know that you could use client VNC in VLC? Did you know you could remux in VLC... Did you know you could use ascii art output in VLC? All those are undocumented features and not easter egg... Your definition is lame, wrong and stupid.
What? You are kidding...
Of course I'm not kidding. Why would I joke about removing a buggy feature until it can be fixed?
Because it is not buggy. The main icon of the program changes for the last 15 days of the year. It is a feature and it is not buggy.
VLC is not done by a company, but by volunteers that do that on their free time...
Deal with it or go elsewhere with your hatred.
Any software development team (closed or open source, commercial or non-profit) is ultimately responsible to the users and the notion of best practices, and should not deliberately alter the user experience without notice or the ability to completely undo its effects. Even "volunteers" should do quality work, even on easter eggs.
Responsible for what? First read the license of VLC, and you will see that we are not responsible and reliable for ANYTHING.
Then, this is not a bug, not broken, and not affecting anything in your system except the Qt interface of VLC. This is just a feature you don't like.
j-b, in general I'm quite pleased with VLC, and its quality and stability, and growing feature set. I've reported on bugs with good documentation when I could. If I hated VLC, I really wouldn't be using it.

Really, this is just another bug (failure to fully restore all icon associations). It doesn't deserve to be defended.
No, it is not. You are just a stupid troll on the internet. And you are slowing VLC's development.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

lexein
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lexein » 02 Jan 2010 23:53

j-b
My observations and reports are correct. First, the media file icons changed en masse to hats, then when your "feature" timed out, the icons reverted to the ugly default Windows icon. This happened on two different Windows XP SP3 systems that I know of.

Neglecting to get screenshots showing thousands of icons, all set to hats, then later, all set to the ugly Windows camera icon - that was stupid, I'll admit. However, I'm rather obviously not a troll.

christzel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby christzel » 03 Jan 2010 00:19

j-b
My observations and reports are correct. First, the media file icons changed en masse to hats, then when your "feature" timed out, the icons reverted to the ugly default Windows icon. This happened on two different Windows XP SP3 systems that I know of.

Neglecting to get screenshots showing thousands of icons, all set to hats, then later, all set to the ugly Windows camera icon - that was stupid, I'll admit. However, I'm rather obviously not a troll.
not true.works perfect to me

I WISH I HAD THIS HAT FOREVER ON THE CONE! I LOVE THIS ICON! THANK YOU

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jan 2010 00:58

j-b
No, your observations are wrong.
You are speaking of totally not the same thing as everyone else.

The feature is: for the Qt4 interface, if the date is in the last 15 days, change the 3 icons inside VLC application to an icon with a red hat. That is all... Anything else is unrelated.
If you are not a troll, you are then stupid or speaking of stuff you don't understand... I hoped for you that you were just a troll...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

christzel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby christzel » 03 Jan 2010 01:02

j-b i want this hat forever :D

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jan 2010 14:19

j-b i want this hat forever :D
Same as other people who don't want it. You have to recompile VLC for that.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

3breadt
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: Win7 Pro / OS X 10.7

Postby 3breadt » 05 Jan 2010 20:21

Maybe VLC should get another easter egg which is not so controversially debated. One that does not conflict with anybody's conscience.

On the other hand then there still might be those who view traffic cones as holy and are offended by VLC's default logo ;)
-- 3breadt (aka altglass)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Jan 2010 20:50

On the other hand then there still might be those who view traffic cones as holy and are offended by VLC's default logo ;)
You've discovered my religion!
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

stevedee3
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 1.1.3
Operating System: Windows 2000

Postby stevedee3 » 06 Jan 2010 08:48

I have great respect for traffic cones and I'm always careful not to drive over them :)

torrent12345
New Cone
New Cone

Postby torrent12345 » 18 Dec 2010 05:24

I've used VLC less than a year so I've not seen the "santa hat" icon before. Searching these forums, I see that it's been..."discussed" before and not fixed (i.e. not made optional) by the program's author.

Some critics have overreacted to say the least (calling it "offensive"), as have its defenders who are too immature to abide anyone not agreeing with their particular sentiment. Let me ask this: if it had been a "satanic pentagram" appearing in the last days of October, would those defending the hat also be defending the pentagram? Or would you be selective (read: hypocritical) about what you choose to defend?

Making the hat mandatory is the author's prerogative. And it's my prerogative keep my money, not to donate to support the program as I normally do with other open source software. If anyone else doesn't like his failure to include an option to remove the hat, don't donate your money, and do let the author know that he chose not to have your money.

n_m
New Cone
New Cone

Postby n_m » 18 Dec 2010 11:11

And Season's Greetings to you again, j-b

Another year of using your gift, with thanks.
May you enjoy peace and health for 2011.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Dec 2010 13:52

I've used VLC less than a year so I've not seen the "santa hat" icon before. Searching these forums, I see that it's been..."discussed" before and not fixed (i.e. not made optional) by the program's author.

Some critics have overreacted to say the least (calling it "offensive"), as have its defenders who are too immature to abide anyone not agreeing with their particular sentiment. Let me ask this: if it had been a "satanic pentagram" appearing in the last days of October, would those defending the hat also be defending the pentagram? Or would you be selective (read: hypocritical) about what you choose to defend?

Making the hat mandatory is the author's prerogative. And it's my prerogative keep my money, not to donate to support the program as I normally do with other open source software. If anyone else doesn't like his failure to include an option to remove the hat, don't donate your money, and do let the author know that he chose not to have your money.
People don't donate to VLC anyway :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

lexein
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lexein » 18 Dec 2010 14:50

People don't donate to VLC anyway :D
I would like to know how to disable this feature: either the configuration setting, registry setting, or line of code to change. I prefer not to manually clean up the mess this feature leaves: twice now, VLC has not restored the icon changes made. If it was happening only on the six systems I maintain, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's happening on the systems of my friends, and they don't like it either, and I've had to clean up their systems too. j-b, please allow those who like, enjoy, support, and propagate VLC to be free of this one unwanted feature. Is this really such an unreasonable request?

obayda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby obayda » 18 Dec 2010 15:20

Enjoy your player. I'm quitting its use because I'm a Muslim, and I believe that Jesus peace be upon him is not a God.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Dec 2010 15:35

Enjoy your player. I'm quitting its use because I'm a Muslim, and I believe that Jesus peace be upon him is not a God.
Santa hat has nothing to do with religion.
Please go away with your hatred.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

obayda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby obayda » 18 Dec 2010 16:41

In what means or by any means on earth can this be hatred?!, you are putting a symbol: Santa clair wearing a big white cross on his neck!!, something which contradict my personal beliefs. If someone put a symbol which contradict your own personal believes you'ld have said the same thing.. Imagine a program with an icon of crescent and masjid (mosque).. I can tell you that the masjid (mosque) is not a religious symbol too!!, because we do everything in the masjid: weddings, celebrations, meetings, lessons of anything even not religious..

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Dec 2010 16:51

In what means or by any means on earth can this be hatred?!, you are putting a symbol: Santa clair wearing a big white cross on his neck!!, something which contradict my personal beliefs. If someone put a symbol which contradict your own personal believes you'ld have said the same thing.. Imagine a program with an icon of crescent and masjid (mosque).. I can tell you that the masjid (mosque) is not a religious symbol too!!, because we do everything in the masjid: weddings, celebrations, meetings, lessons of anything even not religious..
Santa Claus is not religious: It is a pagan sign created in the 19th century.
And even if you considered Santa Claus religious (and you would have a serious problem), this is just a hat.

NOT a CROSS, A HAT.

It is not a Santa Claus,
It is not a photo of Jesus,

And for your information, mosque is a religious building, since its main aim is religious matters.

If you want to see religion everywhere, then please go away, and please go away with your hatred.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

puzzy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby puzzy » 18 Dec 2010 16:57

Yeah, I just noticed. Made me smile a lot - was on the phone to a friend when it switched and said Hey! you use VLC - go look at this! We both wondered at how it was done.
It's a great little touch that shows VLC has personality, which is why I love it.
I have no particular fondness for xmas, but I certainly don't think it's offensive. Heck, it's not a bloomin crucifix. Santa is a reasonably modern western construct with no direct religious connotations, apart from the association with xmas - which to most these days has almost nothing to do with christianity and is an excuse to have an office party or coordinate a collective catch up with family and friends, at a predictable time once a year. And of course for crass commercialism and retail sales to ride it for all it's worth. There is sure nothing real religious about that.
People can chose to treat it with reverence, take the 'lets go along for the fun' road or ignore it altogether, which is all quite acceptable. It's the freedom we have the right to exercise.
It's just a thing that is. And will be. Live with it.
Take offence at everything that moves and you only make yourself sour.
Take joy in little surprises or interesting things without piling a whole lot of misguided interpretations on 'em and life gets a whole lot sweeter.
It's your choice.
EDIT - apologies j-b, I just saw your post which we seemed to be writing at the same time, and I've repeated a lot of the points you made. Ditto woulda been quicker.
Last edited by puzzy on 18 Dec 2010 17:14, edited 2 times in total.

obayda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby obayda » 18 Dec 2010 17:00

I think 99.99% have a serious problem, because they all think that this is a Christian logo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus
I've read the first part of this article and I didn't found anythign pointing to the "pegan" origin, all talking about the Christian origins of santa claus.

You know that it's not a regular hat pointing to nothing specific in the universe!!! it is well-known hat with a peculiar design and colors, weared by one famous RELIGIOUS CHRISTIAN character all over the world, and you will never see someone else wearing it, in a different time of the year!!

Again I would like to ask: who is the one having hatred now and who is the one forcing over the others his cultural specifications without even giving them the choice!.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Dec 2010 17:07

I think 99.99% have a serious problem, because they all think that this is a Christian logo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus
I've read the first part of this article and I didn't found anythign pointing to the "pegan" origin, all talking about the Christian origins of santa claus.

You know that it's not a regular hat pointing to nothing specific in the universe!!! it is well-known hat with a peculiar design and colors, weared by one famous RELIGIOUS CHRISTIAN character all over the world, and you will never see someone else wearing it, in a different time of the year!!

Again I would like to ask: who is the one having hatred now and who is the one forcing over the others his cultural specifications without even giving them the choice!.
This is not a christian icon, this is a red hat. Read better what you link to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Christmas 'Like Santa Claus, Father Christmas has been identified with the old belief in Woden (Odin to the Norse)'

We don't force anything on you.
You didn't pay for VLC. Noone forces you to use it. You are even authorized to modify VLC and remove the icon. So fork VLC.

People like You, seeing religion everywhere are dangerous to our community. Therefore, please go away.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

lexein
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lexein » 18 Dec 2010 19:10

I am not part of the religion discussion, and have no interest in it, and I am not any sort of hater.
I simply would like to know how to disable this feature: which lines of code to change or comment out.
Though it was promised that VLC would "automatically change the icons back", it did not, on six systems I maintain, and four of my friends' systems, and I've had to go back and revert the icons manually, on each media types (mp3, wav, ogg, avi, 3gp, asf, flv, aiff, mid, mp4, ogm, mp2, mod, aac, etc., etc., etc.)
j-b, please inform those who like, enjoy, support, and propagate VLC exactly how to remove this icon-change feature.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Dec 2010 20:05

I am not part of the religion discussion, and have no interest in it, and I am not any sort of hater.
I simply would like to know how to disable this feature: which lines of code to change or comment out.
Though it was promised that VLC would "automatically change the icons back", it did not, on six systems I maintain, and four of my friends' systems, and I've had to go back and revert the icons manually, on each media types (mp3, wav, ogg, avi, 3gp, asf, flv, aiff, mid, mp4, ogm, mp2, mod, aac, etc., etc., etc.)
j-b, please inform those who like, enjoy, support, and propagate VLC exactly how to remove this icon-change feature.
First you are wrong.
This DOES NOT change the icon of the filetypes in explorer, but only the icon of the interface of VLC.
It does NOT change the VLC.exe icon.

To modify the code, just modify it back in modules/gui/qt4/Qt4.cpp
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

lexein
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lexein » 18 Dec 2010 20:31

Thank you.
I sincerely think that you and I are both somehow right.
I understand that VLC didn't do any copying, and I believe you that it didn't change its vlc.exe icon.
But I did see all my media file file icons change to santa hats, and then not change back when VLC changed its own icon back. Something happened in between, which changed the media icons, and then didn't happen to change them back. I have no idea what that is, but it happens repeatably.
Apparently it didn't happen to you, so it's natural that you don't see it as annoying!
Anyways, thanks for the info.

Return to “Coffee Corner”