Just have a drink and chat
Mizagorn
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Santa Hat?

Postby Mizagorn » 25 Dec 2013 02:02

Kind of selfish of you ...
I stopped reading there...
Seriously? I spend all my free time working on a project and I do probably more time and put more profesionnalism on VLC than most people on their own job. And I have one job too.
Calling me selfish? Screw you. What are you doing for other people?
Well said!

What kind of a black heart gripes about something like this? And I'm perfectly fine with any other holiday or other memorable occasion icons, as well, for what it's worth.

Jean-Baptiste, we (well, most of us apparently) are very, very grateful for the huge amounts of time you have invested into this project.

I guess Bad Brad is writing a post to Google to tell them to take their Santa Claus tracker down because he didn't ask for it and it offends him! Never mind that it is free also! Blow those billboards up! Yank those Christmas lights off the houses in the neighborhood! I won't go shopping for 3 months out of the year because I might see a nativity scene!! Throw out the TV because there's so much Christmas CRAP on it I just can't stand it!!!

Shillos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Shillos » 29 Dec 2013 04:23

I would agree with Brad Smith, but only that Christmas and New Years are pagan nonsense that have nothing to do with religion or Christianity. It doesn't state nowhere in the bible that we should celebrate Jesus birth, while it's his death that we should remember for the ransom for forgiving us and delivering us from Evil and give us the chance of everlasting life. This is what God wanted us to do NOT celebrate birthdays. Birthdays is another stupid nonsense where this came from pagans and older from the egyptians celebrating their stone made Gods. In other words all this is idolatry. Jesus died at the age of 33 and a half around March - April based on the jewish calendar of 14 Nisan, which will make it logically if you take 6 month out it would come to September - October and NOT December that most know it. Christmas was made around the 4th Century after deciding to allow the pagans to combine their celebrations of the end of the year to the sun god of egypt together with the so called Christians that already were using a corrupted understanding of their own and not the way the Bible shows it to be. Thats a little history of the truth found within history books and the Bible. The bible never says lies, only people do. If you like to ban me that at least I spoke the truth, please do so. I will not come in your way again, but PLEASE PLEASE cos there is many of us that DO NOT CARE ABOUT XMAS remove this icon. VLC Player is soo great, but please keep your pagan celebrations to your self. If you were muslim and put out a celebration on just a good made of software you might just destroy the feeling for those that enjoy it! I suggest it's better to remove it to have less misunderstandings with other users and their believes.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Dec 2013 10:31

I will not come in your way again, but PLEASE PLEASE cos there is many of us that DO NOT CARE ABOUT XMAS remove this icon. VLC Player is soo great, but please keep your pagan celebrations to your self.
There is an option to do that, what about you do it?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

pzz020165
New Cone
New Cone

Postby pzz020165 » 29 Jul 2014 15:09

it appears ontop of the cone on the logo during the few weeks around christmas. atleast it did during 2013/2014. it is fairly small but it can be scary when you first see it, i had to check google quickly wondering if it were some sort of virus, it isn't. it was a strange thing to see but it didn't do any harm.

tallyho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tallyho » 12 Dec 2014 21:58

Is this going to be popping up this year? I was just curious.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Dec 2014 16:15

Yes. Day 354 of the year, like every year.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

McVeyClan1TVU
New Cone
New Cone

Postby McVeyClan1TVU » 20 Dec 2014 23:41

I just noticed the hat for first time today, seems kind of silly that anyone would make such a big deal about something like an icon. They must really be in missory when a holiday comes around. Do they throw their TV out because of commercials and cancel their newspaper because of ads in it. As far as the term Pegan goes all religions are based on Pegan rituals to explain why thing happen in nature and to promote family values. Each religion distorts the stories to fit their own needs to maintain control over their followers. In short if you don't like the Santa hat then stop using VLC to watch your Christmas movies the last week of the year, go to the bar or beat your spouse or what ever make you feel joyful this time of the year and stop crying to those of us who could care less what you believe in.

tallyho
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tallyho » 21 Dec 2014 10:39

I don't slight anyone standing up for their right to not have someone else's religion shoved down their throat. I think it would be decent for VLC to just add the option to take the icon away if they want to or whatever.

Anyway, I like the hat thingy, that's why I was asking. For the record I do see it now, also. :-)

Happy Holidays.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Jan 2015 16:39

I don't slight anyone standing up for their right to not have someone else's religion shoved down their throat. I think it would be decent for VLC to just add the option to take the icon away if they want to or whatever.
The option is there for years.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Vbit-twiddler
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Vbit-twiddler » 24 Dec 2015 07:43

I love the Santa hat! Folks who are offended just for the sake of finding something to being offended by -- boring.

They can take a hike, into the NW Territories ... with peanut butter painted on their shoes.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Feb 2016 23:59

I laughed :)
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

DaneGeld
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DaneGeld » 20 Dec 2017 16:13

I know this thread hasn't been commented on for a long time, but I came here looking for the same answer as others, how to turn off the Santa Hat.

I'm just going to say one thing, then I'll go and leave you to enjoy Christmas.

Those of you who say Santa Claus isn't religious, I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Santa Claus is derived from SAINT Nicholas. Now there's a clue there, in the word SAINT. He was an Orthodox Bishop of the City of Myra, in the 3rd Century AD and is venerated by the Eastern Orthodox and both the Anglican & Catholic churches.

So, Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas, Sinterklaas, whatever you call him, IS a religious figure. Like it or not.

Have a cool yule :)

Gelukkige Kerstmis / Happy Christmas / God Jul

tomj1363
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.8.8
Operating System: Windows / Linux

Postby tomj1363 » 20 Dec 2017 19:36

As this thread is still getting replies, I felt like I needed to support the Santa hat icon :D
The fact that it is an optional feature and some people still feel the need to be offended seems unreasonable.
I think it's a very cute edition to VLC and it made one of my teachers smile today.

I'm glad to see it return this year, and hope it stays a feature for many more.

mikka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mikka » 21 Dec 2017 08:46

I only signed up to say yay santa hat:) And as monday is my birthday you can take it as A-OK in my book.

TrueBlueFrog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TrueBlueFrog » 30 Dec 2017 11:03

Just because you (bradsmithsite) don't celebrate "Pagan Festivals" doesn't mean you have the right to criticise those who do. I think the "Santa Hat" a superb little clin d'œil "wink" to acknowledge the season. Well done VLC I've donated and recommended VLC on facebook, thanks guys for what I consider to be the best media player in the world.

TrueBlueFrog
P.S. bradsmithsite "you are" is contracted to "you're", simple mistake, easy to make.

tdarcos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tdarcos » 05 May 2018 03:08

1. I think the Santa hat in VLC is cute.
2. As an atheist I can say specifically the red and white Santa is neither a pagan symbol (although the celebration of the festival of Saturnalia on December 25 is and predates Christianity by hundreds or thousands of years) nor a Christian symbol. The red and white coated Santa Claus was invented as a marketing tool by the Coca-Cola Company to sell more soda during the depression of the 1930s.

The red and white Santa hat and costume was first and foremost a marketing gimick.

Wallace197
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Wallace197 » 22 Dec 2019 04:58

I agree, it should be removed - this jean guy is acting like a man-child; unable to take criticism :lol: . Quite insecure too for having to gloat about their projects and work done. If you've really accomplished so much, let your work prove it. Hope the rest of the VLC team isn't like that..

Decarabias
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Decarabias » 09 Apr 2020 09:40

Would be cool if the icon was updated to reflect the StayAtHome situation. For example, the cone wearing a surgical mask or something similar?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Jun 2020 17:56

I agree, it should be removed - this jean guy is acting like a man-child; unable to take criticism :lol: .
Insulting the people that you want to work for free for you will work, sure..
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Darnassus
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Darnassus » 06 Jul 2020 17:12

--please stay polite-- these wankers.. :f Jean you do a fantastic job with VLC..

If anything, I am disappointed there's not more icons!

........ INFACT!!!

WE NEED EASTER ICON, TOO!!
Screw the Christmas Cone haters. :f Image

DrWho42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DrWho42 » 17 Oct 2020 00:37

what about a witch hat for halloween?

Scooter
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.03
Operating System: windows

Postby Scooter » 14 Dec 2020 04:16

Ah, the venerable Santa hat issue. :roll: We have haters, religion-ers, apologists, supporters, "I don't care"-ers , proponents of mystical rites, nay sayers, and various spattering's of others on some side or other of the, now, multi faceted issue. All this about an icon, on a FREE, to you, program, that You choose to use and now you want to control a most insignificant part of. Ha! :mrgreen:

I DO so love the annual Santa Hat kerfuffle. :lol: So, I know now, The Holidays of Christmas & New Years are nigh.

p.s. Jean-Baptiste Kempf Well Done and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you
Scooter
I'm Not confused --well maybe just a bit.

grahamatvideolan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby grahamatvideolan » 19 Dec 2020 14:07

So I'm a Christian.

I'd like to point out that Santa Claus and any apparel associated with this myth is just that: a myth with no religious aspect.
Same is true of Christmas trees although obviously the name is a bit more controversial in this context.

The birth of Christ (what ever your opinion on the subject) is an entirely separate thing, and as the atheists point out the early Christian settlers chose this December period for the Christian celebration as the date is also a pagan festival so perhaps it mean't they can celebrate at the same time and share it with the pagans, just as modern non-Christians still celebrate the holiday.

If there were Easter eggs associated with Muslims, Hindus or whatever, as a christian, I would have a little giggle about it and move on, celebrating our amazing cultural and religious diversity.

So watch/listen to your media content in your truly amazing player freely created by people who love great software, and shove your hate where the (Druid) sun does not shine.

JEFromCanada
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby JEFromCanada » 22 Dec 2020 23:13

Christmas and Santa are religious (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas/) and I DON'T CELEBRATE false pagan holidays and don't want to see rubbish on my PCs. No asking me if I celebrate Christmas, simply shoving Christmas nonsense down our throats. If you think Santa and Christmas ("Christ's mass") is NOT religious, your retarded.

Please remove the Santa Hat icon immediately!

It's annoyed me so much I created a VideoLAN account just so that I could complain about it.

Why must I look at something I despise without being given an option?

Brad Smith
You're a disgrace, Brad.

MichaelDW96
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MichaelDW96 » 02 Nov 2021 09:42

Not religious whatsoever. Made an account just to chime in (gravedig) and say Brad seems like a tool, the santa hat is cute and I'm looking forward to it again this year, and a huge and heartfelt thanks to Jean-Baptiste for years of volunteer service!

Wishing you all an early Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Awesome Kwanzaa, and Happy Holidays.

Return to “Coffee Corner”