What Do You Use VLC For?

Just have a drink and chat
Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

What Do You Use VLC For?

Postby Aspersimgamer » 04 Apr 2022 19:01

I only use it so far to listen to my own stream, so what do you use VLC for forum? :roll:
MY RADIO STATION: with NO commercials (go to link to download then run with VLC on any device)
http://nap.casthost.net:2199/tunein/justinangelradio-stream.pls

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: What Do You Use VLC For?

Postby elitedata » 04 Apr 2022 21:09

i use it to watch online video streams (because web page embedded players suck), to play back all media content on local storage and to listen to online audio streams (in that specific order of importance)

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 04 Apr 2022 22:24

i use it to watch online video streams (because web page embedded players suck), to play back all media content on local storage and to listen to online audio streams (in that specific order of importance)
if you like to stream music see my stream and tune in sometime to see if you like it :)

My signature now has the link. for ease of access to all devices when using my 64k stream. I play mostly Classic Rock commercial free

it's great quality sound too in spite the little bandwidth because it's AAC FORMAT :D
MY RADIO STATION: with NO commercials (go to link to download then run with VLC on any device)

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby elitedata » 05 Apr 2022 18:53

if you like to stream music see my stream and tune in sometime to see if you like it :)

My signature now has the link. for ease of access to all devices when using my 64k stream. I play mostly Classic Rock commercial free

it's great quality sound too in spite the little bandwidth because it's AAC FORMAT :D
yes, this is a good sounding stream (im the one connected with no device ID).
it does not appear that you are using any type of sound processing, this is good as i prefer to have your "vanilla" sound processed in "Stereotool" for my listening.
im not sure you should call it "Classic Rock Mix" though, since you have a wide variety of rock/alternative music from different times, from the past to the present, maybe perhaps call it "Alternative Rock Mix".
i really like that the music being played is not all just "main stream" content, just some of it.
i just hope i dont use most of your 3GB of bandwidth since i will be listening for the typical 8 hour work day, assuming you are using the free plan and assuming there are others listening as well (that can make the 3GB bandwidth disappear quickly).

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 06 Apr 2022 03:19

yes, this is a good sounding stream (im the one connected with no device ID).
it does not appear that you are using any type of sound processing, this is good as i prefer to have your "vanilla" sound processed in "Stereotool" for my listening.
im not sure you should call it "Classic Rock Mix" though, since you have a wide variety of rock/alternative music from different times, from the past to the present, maybe perhaps call it "Alternative Rock Mix".
i really like that the music being played is not all just "main stream" content, just some of it.
i just hope i dont use most of your 3GB of bandwidth since i will be listening for the typical 8 hour work day, assuming you are using the free plan and assuming there are others listening as well (that can make the 3GB bandwidth disappear quickly).
Don't worry about my data plan it's unlimited anyway just enjoy the stream anytime any ware ok? :)

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby elitedata » 06 Apr 2022 18:55

thanks.
i really enjoy the eclectic wide range selection of music.

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 07 Apr 2022 15:17

thanks.

Yea every single day is something different, something new, something old and something in-between I have Broadway and even 1940's music as well as Elvis Presley too in my one and only playlist of 20,000 + songs :)

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby elitedata » 08 Apr 2022 17:22

thanks.

Yea every single day is something different, something new, something old and something in-between I have Broadway and even 1940's music as well as Elvis Presley too in my one and only playlist of 20,000 + songs :)
i noticed that the AAC extension sometimes changes between SBR+PS and SBR dependent on the track playing.
im going to guess that is a result of some tracks encoded differently.
additionally, a port scan of the cloud host has revealed many "hidden" non-public streams as well, some of the content is questionably "surprising" :shock:
now mind you, the port scan performed in intervals of 1000mS to avoid my IP being blacklisted :D
none the less, there are literally hundreds of streams on the host. (cast host)

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 09 Apr 2022 06:15

thanks.

Yea every single day is something different, something new, something old and something in-between I have Broadway and even 1940's music as well as Elvis Presley too in my one and only playlist of 20,000 + songs
i noticed that the AAC extension sometimes changes between SBR+PS and SBR dependent on the track playing.
im going to guess that is a result of some tracks encoded differently.
additionally, a port scan of the cloud host has revealed many "hidden" non-public streams as well, some of the content is questionably "surprising" :shock:
now mind you, the port scan performed in intervals of 1000mS to avoid my IP being blacklisted :D
none the less, there are literally hundreds of streams on the host. (cast host)
yes there is a TON of stations running off Casthost, but as far as I know I'm one of the only ones who never talk or play commercials :wink: since I do it for fun, I don't plan on ever running ads, I want to consider myself different and unique for all those other rock and music station out there, I want to stand out and be the best someday, unfortunately with so many competitors I only pick up 9-15 daily listeners some people tune in 2 or more time though. My ads are useless on Facebook out of over 50,000 people that seen my add only one actually tuned in so far. I am sure glad you are enjoying it :)

that makes me feel happy, I see you on my station listed you have a US IP and running the current version of VLC correct? You told me you don't have a device ID and as I recall I did see someone with no user agent listed but there was an IP address to you though just so you know :roll:

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby elitedata » 09 Apr 2022 19:00

at first i sent no user agent but then later i didnt bother - i did this to point out to you who it was connecting.
im using 3.0.16 VLC 64bit.
yes, i agree, you are currently the only one who just plays nothing but a random mix/genre/era of all types of music with no processing and no interruptions.
i enjoy this a lot especially during my 8 hour work period.
thanks to your stream, there are lots of songs i dont have in my collection, that i have downloaded the OPUS audio file from youtube (quite easy to do), i currently have 8,417 MP4 (AAC) and 55 OPUS files, all MP4 are 44.1Khz @ 160Kbit, OPUS files vary between 44.1/48Khz @ 128/160Kbit.
the MP4 files i saved from another music service (Stingray) that is included free with my internet service.
the OPUS files i get from youtube.
i think if you want to get more listeners, you will need to somehow advertise but on a subtle basis.
also, i would suggest changing the name of your stream not to include the word "classic rock" because some might think its just that, classic rock, which is too popular, has been outplayed and is too mainstream, i would consider your stream to be "eclectic alternative" which is great.
in case anyone is wondering how you can save OPUS audio files from youtube, its quite easy, i will soon post instructions on my website scpdny.com (which is not currently built at the moment).
depending on what youtube user you obtain the OPUS audio file from, it can be encoded/transferred good or bad, i tend to find the official artist and get the track from their channel and if not, find several of the same track and choose the one that is best.
additionally, because some videos on youtube are hosted on google video, VLC comes into play to help you obtain the URL for the OPUS audio file as well (because of cross-linked URL's).
i am curious where and how you obtained all of your 20K media content from.

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 09 Apr 2022 20:40

i am curious where and how you obtained all of your 20K media content from.
I got 100% of it from commercial bought music CD's, no bootlegs or shortcuts, I everything I have is what me and my family owns, but I don't have literally everything recorded because some of what my family owns I don't like, I am not a hard core metal fan so some of what my mom owns like that music that is nothing but roaring lyrics I excluded because I wanted to balance my playlist out and it not be all over the place too badly. I have an ASCAP license in which as far as I know give me the authority to broadcast copyrighted music without getting sued by the record companies for using their music in my stream, according ASCAP authorities I don't own them any more money until August 2022.

ASCAP is for the composers to get their royalty payments in which by playing their music I need permission in order to broadcast it, it cost $390.00 USD a year for the royalty license for 500, 1500 listeners constantly for a year. I don't have that many so far so I am guessing I only will need to pay the minimum $390.00 this year as well.

Not a single song in my database or playlist is a bootleg as far as I know, some of the CD's were purchased used and a TON was bought new, I would not dare download songs off YouTube and put them on my own stream because that is like totally unfair to the artist :roll:

And? I kept all the music I purchased and never ever plan on selling it too

elitedata
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby elitedata » 09 Apr 2022 22:35

I would not dare download songs off YouTube and put them on my own stream because that is like totally unfair to the artist :roll:
i agree with you but i prefer to pay the artists directly since they get a small share of the royalties, so if an artist is offering their music without any payments going to the distributor (who makes most of the money), then i am happy to pay for it, everyone else involved in the royalty scheme except the distributors are fair and square.
this same tactic is used in television shows and movies, its the distributor who gets the lions share of the profits and royalties.
i dont save the tracks for the purpose of anything except for my own personal listening, although this may be considered illegitimate in some areas, there are times when internet access is not available to stream music, this is where my smart phone with these tracks comes in play via BT to the vehicle radio.

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 11 Apr 2022 14:35

also if you guys ever want to buy individual song directly from Amazon.com you can listen with this link and download the song playing on my stream

https://streamfinder.com/streaming-radi ... lQgFcjMK1s

DrWho42
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby DrWho42 » 27 Apr 2022 06:56

screenshots and recordings 8)

Notallbad
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Notallbad » 01 May 2022 18:00

I use vlc for an old-timers collection of videos inside an microsoft access database, of course it's the ActiveX V2 Plugin, which of course, no one uses anymore or cares to answer anyones questions about using it, since it is so OLD.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 02 May 2022 13:32

Indeed, it's so old that ActiveX is dead for a long time:

Microsoft dropped ActiveX support from the Windows Store edition of Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8. In 2015, Microsoft released Microsoft Edge, the replacement for Internet Explorer with no support for ActiveX, this event marked the end of ActiveX technology in Microsoft's web browser development.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveX#Platform_support

Aspersimgamer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Aspersimgamer » 13 Feb 2023 03:54

Will 4.0 have the same playlist shuffle mode as VLC version 3.0.3.? i want to know because like I mentioned 3.0.18 completely broke the 3.0.3 version shuffle mode badly, version 3.0.18 causes my albums to shuffle and stick then shuffle again only to stick to the same album again at random, in which caused my streams prerecorded DJ talk to either not come on at all or when it did come on, it would stay on for hours and hours and repeat itslef and any of the other audio files in my muisc folder would not play or get selected, plus there was severe lag between switching songs too on version 3.0.18, I talked about that here

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 05#p533605

osc2nuke
New Cone
New Cone

Postby osc2nuke » 03 Sep 2023 12:20

I use it to play IPTV streams.
For that, i build my own php based script that loads a list of all streams.
I use the VLC HTTP requests, what really opened doors for me.

Strange there is no specific topic on here for it.
Hard to find resources about it.

MystiqueWanderer
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MystiqueWanderer » 12 Dec 2023 21:46

To be honest, I began using VLC when I got my first Mac. It was back in 2009. I've been looking for a video player to watch movies and videos from my phone on my laptop, and since then, I can't find anything more convenient for me than VLC.

Return to “Coffee Corner”