Show us what developers do

Just have a drink and chat
Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Show us what developers do

Postby Cyan » 06 Mar 2015 01:25

I have seen many issues being reported, but not many solutions. It is frustrating to watch, so many people with valid issues or ideas, but no one available to do the job.
It makes me wish I could do it myself, exercise that desire to solve the issue, spend that free time helping others and gaining experience.

However I have no idea how to get started. I have done some basic programming before, but never have I worked on a serious open source project anything like VLC.
It got me wondering. What exactly does it take?!

Could one of the developers record or otherwise document how he contributes to the VLC project? I mean from start to end. From the moment he reads about an issue, decides he can take it on, till the moment his solution is released in the next update.
Talk us through it if you like. It doesn't need to be a big thing. A small bug fix covert by a short video would already give a great insight.

For educational purposes. Give us an idea what it is like to work on a project such as VLC.

Obviously this alone will not turn an inexperienced programmer in a useful contributor, but it could be a good guild line for people to learn what it takes to work on this project. I for one would maybe gain a better understanding of what I need to brush up on before I can help out.

scheperell
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Show us what developers do

Postby scheperell » 06 Mar 2015 03:25

Have you looked at the Developer section of the VLC wiki ( https://wiki.videolan.org/Developers_Corner/ )?
It looks like "Get Started at coding on VLC" and the "Hacker's Guide" would offer some useful starting points.

Cyan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Show us what developers do

Postby Cyan » 06 Mar 2015 21:31

ಠ_ಠ

I must have been half asleep when I started this topic. My apologies, looking at the Developer section makes perfect sense.
Thank you scheperell.

Return to “Coffee Corner”