Simple Questions~!

Just have a drink and chat
cobrien84
New Cone
New Cone

Simple Questions~!

Postby cobrien84 » 21 Mar 2012 18:24

As a former Program Manager for real-time software (and possessing one of the most obsessive personalities on the planet) I've come to LOVE VLC as a tool for escaping a particularly challenging "OCPD Corner" I created for myself. Per the subject:

1. Where can I find the differences between VLC 2.0.0 and 2.0.1?
2. After reading a LOT about why there was no 64-bit VLC for Windows, I found "vlc-2.0.1-win64.exe" on your ftp site?
3. While I LOVE that VLC "just works," where can I find the DEFAULT "DVD Ripping Format(s)"?

Sorry if any of these questions reflect a lack of patience (for further digging) on my part; I'm finding this program so useful that I'll likely choose to become a donor and may choose to be a contributor moving forward. Thank you!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Simple Questions~!

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Mar 2012 18:33

1. in the Changelog; in the git repo; in the trac.
2. Yep, this is normal. This is the first version so far. It might work.... or not...
3. I do not understand.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cobrien84
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cobrien84 » 22 Mar 2012 17:28

I appreciate your quick reply! I found the answer to my #1 using your advice, thank you. #2 is similarly answered, I ripped the same DVD Movie using the 32-bit and 64-bit versions and got the "same" result (by byte count). And while I was (VERY) impressed by the way the two versions set-up according to Microsoft's "preferred" program directory structure, I DID have to manually set-up shortcuts to each version (disregarding the Start Menu Tree at this time.)

Regarding #3; I've (to-date) used VLC without attempting to learn ANYTHING about the program, and have been VERY impressed that it's "just worked" - meaning I've ripped ~(8) DVD Movies (for personal viewing) to files that have an extension of ".mpg" As perhaps the most curious guy in the world, I intend to (in time) learn about codec and container formats - but I find myself wondering (today) what's "under" this ".mpg" default?

This question is compounded by VLC's failure to rip a 9th (Sony) DVD Movie, resulting in an unusable ".a52" file with a minimal (55KB) size. So, as I work my way out of my "OCPD Corner" and teach myself to "not sweat the small stuff," I'm realizing that I NEED to learn NOW if I'm to continue making forward progress. Any guidance you can provide would CERTAINLY be appreciated!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Mar 2012 15:59

It is hardcoded into the UI.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

tittbit
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tittbit » 20 May 2012 21:29

i am laughing,
these are very simple points and it reflects that vlc team has been suffering from lack of funds.

i mean creating a 64bit is damn easy if u can build 32 bit version!!!!
Life is not finding yourself, it is discovering yourself.

Return to “Coffee Corner”