Problem implementing V2.0.

Just have a drink and chat
Earl
New Cone
New Cone

Problem implementing V2.0.

Postby Earl » 30 Mar 2012 18:17

I have recently been introduced to VLC media player. So far I have not been able to successfully use the product.

Let me begin by describing the environment in which the product is being used. I have one VM defined device which is supposed to stream a video to a specific host also a VM device. This product has been used successfully used by others, however that is a previous version which uses a Wizard. The proceedure which I am expected to follow goes something like this: Click "File" > "Wizard" and choose "Streaming/Transcoding Wizard", Verify that "Stream to network" is enabled and click "Next". Click "Choose" and then "Browse" > select a wmv or mpg file and click ok. Click "Next" and go to the "Streaming" window. Verify "RTP Unicast" is enabled and then specify the address of the device you wish to send the stream to. Next go to the Encapsulation format window and use MPEG TS. Finally chose a TTL of 4 and finish.

Using the new version of VLC I cannot find a wizard and when I get to the point where I choose how to transmit the file I cannot find a choice of "RTP Unicast". There is a UDP( legacy) and a couple of RTP choices. Which of these options is equivilant to "RTP Unicast"? I chose play locally and when I start the streaming it appears on the streaming host.

When I go to the device to which I am sending the file I click "File" and choose "Open Network Stream". I am supposed to click or Verify that "UDP/RTP" is selected and click OK. There is once again no choice for UDP/RTP that I can find and none of the choices look like something similar.

Checking the statistics on the intervening network devices it appears that the stream is not transmitting on the link. As I mentioned earlier the stream does display locally, but is choppy ( I can live with this).

Any guidance/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Earl

str3tmonk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Problem implementing V2.0.

Postby str3tmonk » 07 Apr 2012 03:31

Hello Earl,

Seems like an issue with the VLC streaming side. Before you initiate streaming, can you please type CTRL + M and open up the "Messages" box, then set level 2. You will start seeing what VLC is doing in the background and feel free to post up the results here (or on pastebin.com). After that we can give you a better idea of what's going on.

Hope this helped.

Return to “Coffee Corner”