fedora core 2 and VLC?

Just have a drink and chat
Lutz

fedora core 2 and VLC?

Postby Lutz » 14 Oct 2004 15:31

Help!! I´m an absolute beginner with linux, I want to install VLC-player, but due to my lack of knowledge of fedora, I don´t know how to install it! Can somebody give me a little amateur-instruction :-)
(excuse my poor English, I am German, but help me anyway :-)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: fedora core 2 and VLC?

Postby fkuehne » 14 Oct 2004 16:21

You need to download the binary-package from the vlc-fedora-download-page, run "tar zxf" on it and cd to the new directory. Afterwards run "rpm -U vlc/* --force" with root-rights, which does mean that you need to run "su" previously.

Du musst das binäre Paket ("binary package") von der VLC-Fedora-Download-Seite herunterladen, "tar zxf" darauf anwenden und mit "cd" in das neue Verzeichnis wechseln. Danach musst du mit Root-Rechten "rpm -U vlc/* --force", d.h. dass du vorher noch "su" ausführen müsst.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Lutz

SU?

Postby Lutz » 14 Oct 2004 16:28

Verzeih mir mein unglaubliches Unwissen in Sachen Fedora, aber was ist "SU"? :shock:

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: SU?

Postby fkuehne » 14 Oct 2004 17:02

Verzeih mir mein unglaubliches Unwissen in Sachen Fedora, aber was ist "SU"? :shock:
==
Excuse my unbelievable ignorance about Fedora, but what's "SU"? :shock:
"su" is a command to change the current user in a shell. If you just type "su", the new user is "root". If you type "su myname", the new user is "myname". Anyway, you'll be prompted for the specific password before the other user-account becomes activated. You can see the change of the active user at the beginning of the shell-line: normally, there is a "%" or "$", if you are logged in as root, you see a "#". To leave the root-account, type "exit".

"su" ist ein Befehl zum Wechseln des aktuellen Benutzers einer Shell. Wenn du nur "su" eingibst, ist der neue Benutzer "root". Wenn du "su meinname" eingibst, ist der neue Benutzer "meinname". In jedem Fall wirst du nach dem jeweiligen Passwort gefragt, bevor der andere Benutzeraccount aktiviert wird. Du kannst den Wechsel des aktuellen Benutzers am Anfang der Shell-Zeile beobachten: normalerweise ist dort ein "%" oder ein "$"; wenn du als Root angemeldet bist, siehst du ein "#". Um den Root-Account zu verlassen, gebe "exit" ein.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

kd4ccd
New Cone
New Cone

VLC and Linux

Postby kd4ccd » 21 Apr 2005 04:58

The best linux platform I have found for VLC is Gentoo VLC is built right into the portage.
Gentoo Is a little dificult to set up... but a long as you set it up just as the DOC says ti is easy....

paoloorefice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Installation vlc on fedora core 2: problems about 'make'

Postby paoloorefice » 29 Apr 2005 15:12

Hello,
I'm an Italian student from 2°University of Naples. I have problems about the installation of VLC. I use Fedora Core 2 (Linux family).
I've installed every libraries (from a52...to z-lib) and Vlc 0.8.1 in the same directory.(the path is: usr/local/src/vlc). When I compile vlc there is an error, because I cant'install "gettext", I think less a makefile in subdirectory po. The directory gettext infact, has 2 subdirectory: gettext-runtime and gettext-tools which don't compile!!!why?. "Make"cause an error.
What do I do?

The error is below:
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/vlc/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime/p o'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'. Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/vlc/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime/po '
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/vlc/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/vlc/gettext-0.14.1/gettext-runtime'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
[root@localhost gettext-0.14.1]#

When compile vlc instead, the error is:

Making all in po
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/vlc/vlc-0.8.1/po'
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `all'. Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/vlc/vlc-0.8.1/po'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/vlc/vlc-0.8.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2
[root@localhost vlc-0.8.1]#

I do also ./configure --disable-nls but the errore is the same. Where do I do the correct download of gettext?I do download 2 times!

I'm doing "graduation thesis" to complete my studies about vlc and it's important for me! Is there someone who can help me to write thesis?I would write a module of vlc but now i don't understand anithing...Have you something to tell me?

Thanks, very much.!!!

Paolo Orefice

Return to “Coffee Corner”