Streaming from Dreambox

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
waterman

Streaming from Dreambox

Postby waterman » 02 Jun 2005 18:08

Yes, I know it is possible to stream video from a Dreambox 7020 to a PC. I have not got this to work yet but with a bit more determination I am sure that I will.

What I would like to do as my next project is to stream from the 7020 thru a home wifi lan to a remote TV. Will it be possible to stream from the 7020 to a media centre such as D-Link DSM-320 or must I stream to a PC and then multicast ?

Are there any guides I should read before going any further ?

Is there any specific VLC software that I should have on the Dreambox ?

I would be grateful for any advice.

nova-t
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nova-t » 07 Jun 2005 21:01

There are two modes to consider,

(1) streaming from PC to Dreambox (you can then view just about any format that VLC can convert to MPEG1 or MPEG2).

(2) streaming from Dreambox to PC (you can view TV om the PC or run transcoding to serve in more compact video formats. Or let a cluster of VLC equipped PC's (capacity amplification) serve the DB video stream to other computers..

An example of (1) is the combination of vlc 0.7.1 and the Dreambox "Videolanclient" plugin you find mentioned in many DB Forums and for automatic download in many DB images.

An example of (2) is "VLC_Stream.exe"
http://www.olmi.cz/VLC_Stream.rar
where you can remote control program selection from the PC and have the video stream of that channel platy back on the PC.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”