netsync on one pc, does it work ?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
semiconductor
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

netsync on one pc, does it work ?

Postby semiconductor » 02 Jul 2011 23:53

Hi

Should netsync be able to work on one pc to syncronize multiple videos on multiple monitors?

When I run a slave video it does not sync and just plays a pixelated stuttering mess.

http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation_ ... es/netsync

thanks semi

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: netsync on one pc, does it work ?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 03 Jul 2011 11:19

Depends on the video format. Netsync is meant to sync the same video, not different ones.

If input slave fails, it's likely netsync will fail too
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

semiconductor
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby semiconductor » 03 Jul 2011 11:51

Ive got it working by running the slaves first. They then pause when the master is run and wait until it catches up. It does not work at all the other way around, for me, on 1 or more pcs.

"vlc.exe path" "myfilepath1.mpg" --control netsync --netsync-master-ip 192.168.0.1
"vlc.exe path" "myfilepath2.mpg" --control netsync --netsync-master-ip 192.168.0.1

then the master

vlc "myfilepath3.mpg" --control netsync --netsync-master

This works on one pc to within half a second synchronized accuracy

Is it possible to increase this time sync accuracy ?
Does the sync clock come from the keyframes, the multiplexer or pid or something else?

thanks a lot

semiconductor
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby semiconductor » 03 Jul 2011 15:33

I have got it to work really well with .ts mpeg2 multiplexing exported from adobe media encoder with constant bit rate

This code plays 3 different videos with the exact same length on one pc, multi screen video installation. The pc uses ip 127.0.0.1 instead of network ip. Written in long form for idiots like me.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "D:\renders video\right.m2t" --control netsync --netsync-master-ip 127.0.0.1
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "D:\renders video\center.m2t" --control netsync --netsync-master-ip 127.0.0.1
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "D:\renders video\left.m2t" --control netsync --netsync-master

This code does the same but sends my audio to separate outputs on my m-audio sound card

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "D:\renders video\right.m2t" --control netsync --netsync-master-ip 127.0.0.1 --directx-audio-device-name="Line 5/6 (M-Audio FW 410)"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "D:\renders video\center.m2t" --control netsync --netsync-master-ip 127.0.0.1 --directx-audio-device-name="Line 3/4 (M-Audio FW 410)"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "D:\renders video\left.m2t" --control netsync --netsync-master --directx-audio-device-name="Line 1/2 (M-Audio FW 410)"

If you paste it all into the windows command prompt ,with a return included, it will all play with one paste.
They need to be dragged and doubled clicked on to make them full screen on the correct projectors/monitors

GogolBordello
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GogolBordello » 08 Mar 2016 14:06

hi semiconductor.

i tried the command line that you suggested but i don't see the use of it.

it opens three (in my case two) separate VLCs and when i pause one video the other still plays. (unlike with input-slave)
and by the way if i leave away the --control netsync commands it still does the same .. opens two separate videos.

so ether i did something wrong or netsync has to be use somehow differently.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”