transcoding: bitrate selection impossible???

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
videoip
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

transcoding: bitrate selection impossible???

Postby videoip » 18 Apr 2005 21:42

I´m trying to transcode videos to a target bitrate for streaming. I´m NOT interested on constant bitrate (which I know is not possible), but at least I want to get a certain AVERAGE bitrate so I can fit the video through a token bucket.
The problem is I find it impossible to predict the total video bitrate. I tried different muxers and codecs but, for example, if I select 32kpbs audio and 220kbps video (mux=TS, vcodec=H264), instead of getting an average 252kbps, I get 362kbps, wich is WAY too big.
Does anyone know how to predict the average output video bitrate or at least explain to me why I´m not getting what I ask VLC for?

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 21 Apr 2005 02:00

Try using the --sout-ffmpeg-strict-rc switch to get a tighter control on bitrate, if using mp2v/mp4v/DIV3 (not positive on the last one, but it may work).

I'm not sure what would affect h264, unfortunately..

I'm surprised you're getting such a large delta, though. I did some test runs with h264 a handful of months back, 100, 200, 300K (using the --sout-transcode-fps switch to run frame rates < 10 fps), and the total file sizes were pretty close to the nominal rate.

Have you tried with no audio, just to verify that it's the video codec that is running oddly?

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”