Streaming freezes

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
bez

Streaming freezes

Postby bez » 22 Feb 2005 16:06

Server set with mmsh, different ports, differnt encapsulations, different media types. When i connect from another computer on another connection using VLC as client i recieve stream for a maximum of 4 seconds and then it freezes and after awhile it disconnects. Tried 2 diffrent connections and 2 different computers. Any ideas?
Also i'd like to know what protocol is best used for streaming outside a LAN network if not mmsh

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 22 Feb 2005 19:45

any errors or warnings ( both sides) ?
Xtophe

bez

Postby bez » 23 Feb 2005 08:54

Nopes... No messages at all. The feed from the server doesnt seem to stop but continues to play in orderly fasion. If u press stop on the client side and press "play" again the stream starts and the same problem repeats itself.

bez

Postby bez » 23 Feb 2005 10:59

seems that its atleast related to bitrate. However... I have 8mbit/s upload for the connection that the server is using and dont seem to be able to stream without transcoding to 256kbit if i dont want any glitches on the client(connected with a 10mbit fiber connection). I've disconnected firewalls(software type) etc without improvement. Both http and mmsh works now but experienceing the same problems with bitrates higher then 256(+96 sound). :shock:

bez

Postby bez » 23 Feb 2005 14:21

further more... It seems that vlc wont send(or recieve) more then a certain amount of byte/s. Nomatter what bitrate i choose it affects the bandwidth the same way i.e. when i use i higher bitrate the client doesnt recieve(demand?) more data as when using lower bitrates. Almost as if its limited somewhere. Havent found any settings for that in the program itself...

xizor
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xizor » 17 Mar 2005 16:37

Nopes... No messages at all. The feed from the server doesnt seem to stop but continues to play in orderly fasion. If u press stop on the client side and press "play" again the stream starts and the same problem repeats itself.
did you ever find a solution to this? This same thing is happening when I use mms. If I watch the feed on VLC on a different computer it freezes after 4 sec. or so, if I watch w/ WMP it plays fine but buffers very often.

Postby Guest » 27 Mar 2005 22:45

Bump! I am having the exact same problems. Tried with 0.8.0, 0.8.1 and 0.8.2-nightly. If I use VideoLAN as a client as well I get a lot of errors when the image freezes though: PTS is out of range, and: late image skipped.

I would be extremely happy if someone has a solution
-lasa-

DaMightyWhighty

Postby DaMightyWhighty » 02 Apr 2005 10:27

I have the same problem, havn't really found a solution : (

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 03 Apr 2005 13:46

I believe this could be called a known problem (VLC - VLC at higher rates, using mmsh/asfh; a variant occurs in a VLC - WMP scenario, where the WMP client keeps rebuffering). Not sure what the answer is, but it's being looked at a bit.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”