Multicast Streaming: Server IGMP joins not sent

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
maleman876
New Cone
New Cone

Multicast Streaming: Server IGMP joins not sent

Postby maleman876 » 05 Apr 2010 23:22

I have tried the newest version, also version .7, .8, and .9 on Windows 7 (two computers) as well as Windows XP. I am currently booting a live Ubuntu CD on my laptop to compare on there...

No IGMP join request is sent out when VLC is configured to stream a file via UDP multicast (I am trying with 224.77.50.50 as my test IP, i have tried several others). I have confirmed this at my router as well as at the machine itself with WireShark. Launching the application as a client and pointing to the multicast address generates the correct IGMP join, I can see it at the machine with Wireshark as well as in my router via "sh ip mroute".

I understand that VLC itself isn't responsible for generating the IGMP message. I have tries it on two different machines with Windows 7 x64, running as administrator, firewall off, etc. I have tried it on a Windows XP virtual machine. I have run wireshark on each machine directly to try to capture the IGMP packet as it leaves. Again, I see it as a client but not as a server.

As a result, it works within a VLAN but not across the router.

Any ideas?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Multicast Streaming: Server IGMP joins not sent

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 06 Apr 2010 12:05

This is not an error. IGMP is not needed to SEND multicast traffic, only to RECEIVE.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

maleman876
New Cone
New Cone

Postby maleman876 » 06 Apr 2010 15:15

Really? My mistake then.

I am having a different issue then. My Cisco 6513 is receiving the multicast stream (I have done a capture at the interfact and at the VLAN interface and confirmed this), and I can see my clients joining the session with "show ip mroute <ip>", but no traffic is getting through.

I have pim sparse/dense mode on on all VLAN interfaces.

Time to open a TAC case I suppose.

maleman876
New Cone
New Cone

Postby maleman876 » 06 Apr 2010 15:29

Perhaps this is the problem: Looking at the capture, the TTL on all of the packets is 1, regardless of what I set in the streaming wizard. That would cause the traffic to die at the first router. Is this a known bug in VLC?

clbgld
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby clbgld » 09 Apr 2010 01:42

Interesting! We have been having some major mcasting problems here, and wireshark also shows TTL=1 regardless of what I set it to on the GUI with the latest version of VLC. Can anyone confirm this is a problem?

Cleiber

clbgld
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby clbgld » 09 Apr 2010 16:43

Just found it on the bug tracker. It has been known for at least one year.

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2631

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”