Sending audio output to sound card's line in channel

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Zingaro2002
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Sending audio output to sound card's line in channel

Postby Zingaro2002 » 25 Nov 2009 16:47

Hi guys,
one of my customers has an old software that records any audio/sound that arrives into "line in" channel of his sound card (windows xp professional sp3).

Now I need to let him record an audio stream that is coming from an rtp audio device on his lan.

prerequisites: he MUST (I reapeat: MUST) use that old software to record the audio stream (so, please, don't tell me to use vlc to record!).

This is what I want to do: vlc can open and play the rtp audio stream so... is it possible "to send audio output" to sound card's line-in channel instead of sending it to sound card's audio output?

In other words: can I stream my audio source (a file, a network stream, a directshow) towards sound card's line-in channel?

Is it possible to have a "virtual" line in input (just like a real audio plug connected to sound card's line-in channel) that receives audio from vlc output?

Thank you very much for any hint!!

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: Sending audio output to sound card's line in channel

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 25 Nov 2009 18:13

Line-in is line-in is line-in. You can do that by pluging the line-out and the line-in together and that's all. Otherwise, you want to modify the sound card driver (best of luck).
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Zingaro2002
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zingaro2002 » 26 Nov 2009 10:56

ok... I've understood: line in is line in.

My question was: is there a way to have a "virtual plug" (NOT real-physical plug) connected to sound card's to line in?

If yes, is there a way to send vlc output to this "virtual plug" "virtually connected" to sound card's line in?

Thanks for any hint

I can't connect physical output to line in (I can't tell you why: it's a long story...)

kdh
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby kdh » 30 Nov 2009 04:38

The way I have my DJ rig set up would allow you to do it.. but you'd need some added hardware.

But a cheap way would be like so:

1. Have VLC connect to your RTP audio stream and have it play the audio stream like normal.
2. Take the Audio Out/Speaker output from the back of the computer and have it plug into a cheap 4 channel mixer.
3. Take the original line input feed and plug that into the same cheap 4 channel mixer.
3. Then take the Record Out of that mixer and have it plug back into the line-in of his recording card.

This mixer would work for you and its fairly cheap.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=631265

best of luck. 8)

Zingaro2002
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Zingaro2002 » 01 Dec 2009 17:32

Thank you.

I've also tried to use 2 different sound cards: I send vlc output to first sound card's output, I put a plug and connect it to line in on second sound card and... it works!

I'll try, if I can, your suggested solution. Thanks.

kdh

Postby kdh » 01 Dec 2009 22:50

The neat thing about doing it the way I suggested is you can monitor both audio feeds via the headphone jack on the mixer. It would negate the question of "do i have sound coming into my channels?

When you get a working, solution that you are happy with..post the details. I'm sure others would love to know how you got it to work.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”