How to stream Theora to new icecast 2.2.0?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
simonb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Linux

How to stream Theora to new icecast 2.2.0?

Postby simonb » 15 Jan 2005 18:48

I have managed to stream a theora/ogg file created with VLC to the new Icecast 2.2.0 server that supports Theora.

I stream the file to the server using the command...
oggfwd my.server.net 8010 pwd /test.ogg <test_stream.ogg

Where my.server.net is the server address and pwd is the password.

Now I would like to do live streaming. It seems the best way to stream to the server is to encode using VLC then take that stream and wrap a password around it using oggfwd. So I stream to 127.0.0.1 using VLC then use curl to receive the stream, firstly to a test file...

curl 127.0.0.1:1234 > test_stream.ogg

This works so far, but when I try and pipe the stream into oggfwd curl just hangs and doesn't make any progress...

curl 127.0.0.1:1234 | oggfwd my.server.net 8010 pwd /test.ogg

Has anyone had any success trying to achieve this? I am basically trying to achieve what is described here...
http://www.v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/examples.html
... but with a video-4-linux source instead of a DV source.

Should I maybe try to use ffmpeg to capture the v4L source and spit out DV for ffmpeg2theora instead of using VLC to encode?

Postby Guest » 18 Jan 2005 09:33

OK, I found a solution, but it doesn't involve VLC like I thought it would so appologies to have put the question on this forum.

Here it is...

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -target pal-vcd - \ | ffmpeg2theora -a 0 -v 0 -x 320 -y 240 -o /dev/stdout- \ | oggfwd my.server.com 8010 pwd /theora.ogg
ffmpeg grabs live video from /dev/video and audio from /dev/dsp, encodes it to MPEG for a VCD then ffmpeg2theora transcodes the video to ogg theora and vorbis (video & audio quality 0) then oggfwd does it's stuff to send it to the icecast server at "my.server.com" with password "pwd" and mountpoint "/theora.ogg".

As it is the audio actually uses more bandwidth than the video. One solution is to reduce the sample rate, then the vorbis encoder will work at lower bitrates. A better solution would be to use speex but ffmeg2theora doesn't deal with speex right now.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”