Receiving and serving streams

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
nobbler
New Cone
New Cone

Receiving and serving streams

Postby nobbler » 23 Sep 2009 10:32

Hi guys,

I'm very new to VLC and am struggling with some basic concepts.
I have searched the board and read through the docs but it seems I might be expecting something of this app that it's not designed to do. Either that or I missed the boat alltogether.

Here is my setup:
- Webcam at home with very limited internet connection
- webcamxp software on windows XP handling the data feed from the camera.
- centOS 5 linux server on the web with lots of bandwidth.
- the linux box is command line ONLY so there is no GUI.

What I want to do:
I want the server on the CentOS server to sit there with a web page with a viewer embedded into it.

There will be three scenarios:
1) No users vanting to viw the webcam:
Nothing happens, my webcam does not transmit any data to the linux server.

2) One user viewing my webcam:
the VLC server requests data from my webcam and a SINGLE stream is pulled from my house. A SINGLE stream is then sent to the user viewing.

3) Multiple users viewing my webcam:
the VLC server requests data from my webcam and a SINGLE stream is pulled from my house. MULTIPLE streams are then sent, one to every user viewing.

Please advise if this is possible and if so how would I go about doing this.

Many Thanks

kdh
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Receiving and serving streams

Postby kdh » 24 Sep 2009 01:45

im doing some pretty complicated stuff, but what i'm doing will do what you are doing.

i give some pretty good details in my thread and should give you some idea's and get you started.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60947

just ignore the shoutcast parts and go from there. =)

hope that helps.

piskovic
New Cone
New Cone

Postby piskovic » 05 Oct 2009 15:29

hi all!

much as nobbler below, i am also new to VLC player but need to do something similar like you guys did, but don't know how to do it. and i need your help.

our local tourism association has an IP video surveillance installed and one of the cameras could be used as a tourist information camera to stream the video on their web site. we were able up to now to get the RTCP stream from the camera into the VLC player and were able to install JW player on our web site (we are running joomla CMS) and now the only problem (as i see it) is how to get the FLV stream going from the server to the web site?

in the JW player, i can set up an IP address of the FLV server stream and the file name, but i don't know what command to write in VLC player in order to get he FLV stream that i can import on the web site.

thank you very, very much for your time, ideas and suggestions. if you have any additional questions, please, feel free to ask.

kdh

Postby kdh » 10 Oct 2009 00:40

re-read my above post and link to my thread. it almost step by step the commands you need to run. you will need to mod what i do to suit your needs.

isync
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isync » 18 Oct 2009 15:22

You need to somehow to trick vlc into acting as a listening relay server, as from kdh's thread:

Code: Select all

vlc.exe udp://@:8777 --sout-mux-caching 45000 --sout "#standard{access=http,mux=ts,dst=127.0.0.1:9070}" --intf rc
what works.
Anyway, I have a related problem, and am too much of a noob to fully understand why vlc listens for UDP, but seems to ignore HTTP input sources and just exit. Please see my related thread for this if you've got any helpful comments...

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”