recording an mp4 stream for a defined duration

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
hakova
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

recording an mp4 stream for a defined duration

Postby hakova » 07 Apr 2009 03:33

Hi there,

Is there a command line option to define a recording duration from an mp4 stream? Managing this with cron by terminating or killing vlc process does not help. Once vlc does not stop recording gracefully, mp4 file saved is not re-playable.

Regards.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: recording an mp4 stream for a defined duration

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Apr 2009 10:08

--stop-time?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

hakova
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby hakova » 07 Apr 2009 14:38

Thanks a bunch!

oldscool51
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oldscool51 » 19 Feb 2010 21:52

Hi;

Unfortunately this solution doesn't work for me. I'm using openSuSE 11.1 vlc --version

Code: Select all

VLC media player 1.0.0 Goldeneye VLC version 1.0.0 Goldeneye Compiled by abuild@pmbs. Compiler: gcc version 4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux) This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License; see the file named COPYING for details. Written by the VideoLAN team; see the AUTHORS file.
I used my standard distro package manager and installed whatever rpms were in the repository.
so far I have this:

Code: Select all

cvlc -vvv --stop-time=60 http://provisioning.streamtheworld.com/pls/KKGOFM1AAC.pls --sout file/ts:/home/lixir/Download/Audio/Stream/Somefilename.mp4
Which works very well and records the stream to the file as indicated and playback of the file at a later date works as well. From the output it looks like the stream records up to the time limit but instead of stopping it just starts over and records another stream to disk and overwrites the previously recorded file till I break the running process with a Ctl C command. Please help. Any info would be appreciated. TIA

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 20 Feb 2010 09:55

You need --no-loop --no-repeat if you have enabled those options in your configuration
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

oldscool51
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oldscool51 » 24 Feb 2010 23:04

Hi;

Thanks for the tip but --no-loop --no-repeat is not working either. I'm assuming from your last messages that these options are not enabled. Does this require me to recompile vlc? In addition, If I specify --file-logging do I get to specify a location for the log file ie. /homedir/somefilename.log or does vlc write it to a default location? Could it be that this option is also not enabled? If indeed to a default location, where should I look? I'd be happy to attach said log to this post, or make it available by some other means. Please advise and once again thanks for the help.

P. S. I wanted to apologize for the long delay between posts but I got sidetracked on another issue.

philly_phenom
New Cone
New Cone

Postby philly_phenom » 01 Mar 2010 04:26

Were you ever able to find an answer to this? I have the same issue - specifying a time causes the stream to loop over & over.

Specifying --no-loop or --no-repeat results in an error about incorrect parameters
Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz
4 GB RAM, 160GB system drive

oldscool51
New Cone
New Cone

Postby oldscool51 » 08 Mar 2010 17:48

nope still looking for an answer. I tried switching to streamripper which does a good functional job of recording and stopping but the resulting aac recording is of such poor quality as to be unusable. So, the search goes on. If you're still looking for an answer and happen to come across a solution, please share. Tnx.

srikanthMadishetti
New Cone
New Cone

Postby srikanthMadishetti » 09 Feb 2011 12:15

you can use --run-time option. With this option one can record for the required number of seconds.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”