Transcode MPEG2 just to increase audio levels?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
jac1d
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Transcode MPEG2 just to increase audio levels?

Postby jac1d » 23 Apr 2008 19:29

Hello everyone,

I've got a unique case that I'm hoping can be addressed with some VLC magic.

I have a professional satellite feed that I am receiving digitally as an MPEG2-TS. The problem is, the audio level is below our standard reference level, so when compared with our other streams, the audio is simply two quiet when you switch between channels. I want to increase the volume level of the stream (with minimum distortion) and leave it synched with the video. I don't want to touch anything on the video side (although I am curious if VLC can impact brightness, hue, etc).

Is it possible to transcode the TS in a way that allows me to increase the volume level, in near real time, and output the complete TS?

Help and examples greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Transcode MPEG2 just to increase audio levels?

Postby dionoea » 23 Apr 2008 22:13

I don't think that it would be possible with the stable VLC version. With the development version it might be possible if you can use the equalizer plugin as an audio filter in transcode and then set all the equalizer bands to the same amplification amount. Of course I have no experience with all the audio part of VLC so I won't be of much help. You could ask jpsaman on the IRC channel.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”