Strange (network?) errors... ?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Drobiazg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Strange (network?) errors... ?

Postby Drobiazg » 01 Apr 2008 00:09

Hello...
I am streaming one TV programm using DVB PCI card. I had several problems but after several days of tuning of my "start.sh" file i have managed to stabilise the stream and all problems ceased to exist except... one.

The "stream sever" works under linux (gigabit lan, 3 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, VLC generates multicast stream) and is connected to main gigabit managed igmp-aware switch, and three unmanaged switches where the computers are connected.
The problem is that sometimes there is a problem with the visual and audio stream, but not on all computers.
The problem looks like a coding error. When you have low satellite signal, you see for several seconds some squares on the screen - the same here.
But the strangest thing is that 5 computers are using that streamed TV programme and two of these computers i have in my home and these two computers are connected to the same switch, and on one of these computer the problem described above NEVER exists... on the second computer the problem exist sometimes.
I can have these two computers on my desk together (one is a laptop) and i can see that one of the computer does not have these square and the other has it... :/

I just dont know where to look for these errors. I suppose that it is computer side, because if some network connection was faulty or the stream itself, then the second computer would have the problem as well.
Whats more - on my first computer the problem is not appearing all the time... and i cannot make that error to happen when i want.

Sometimes i try to change some random advanced lan-card settings and sometimes the problem disappears, but then after several days it appears again even though i didnt change anything in the meantime... it is just STRANGE...

Any ideas what i should check... ??? :(

(The problem exists on 3 of 5 computers in that small LAN)

yohann.martineau
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Strange (network?) errors... ?

Postby yohann.martineau » 01 Apr 2008 10:42

please give a full description of your computers (those working and those where this issue appears):

- OS
- hardware (i mean microproc architecture, it's the most important)
- vlc version

and please give logs where and when the problem appears.

Drobiazg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drobiazg » 02 Apr 2008 20:36

but of course:

- OS
ALL XP HOME EDITION

- hardware (i mean microproc architecture, it's the most important)
all P4, some mobile ones (laptops), some P4 2,6 - 3,0 GHz (full P4 not celerons)

- vlc version
8.6d

laptops seems to suffer less... :|
but the problem is, that even in the computers that suffers more it is not always like that... i can watch DVB-stream one or even four days without any problems, and then... these squares appears (several second without squares, then one-two second with them, then repeat no squares and squares...

i have tried to change some advanced settings of the LAN-card and it seems that resetting the connection [sometimes] works...
with each change in the advanced setting the LAN-card is resetting connection, right? so after some modification and card resetting it is everything allright, but it is nothing with the changes i am doing, because after several days it is as above: squares
(that method of card resetting also: sometimes works, sometimes does not, sometimes works after several resetting)

IT IS STRANGE... :/

Drobiazg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Drobiazg » 21 Apr 2008 01:07

Hi,
I tried many things but the error still exists...
I have changed and tried many advanced settings of network card and one seems to do something...
When i changed the speed from autonegotiation to 100 Mbit FullDuplex the stream was displayed for several days without any problem, but after 2 weeks the problem exists once again... now i tried all other settings and:
100 Mbit Half-Duplex - clear view
10 Mbit Half-Duplex - even worse view than with autonegotiation

what is happening ?
why 100 mbit half duplex seems to clear the problem ? (however 100 Mbit FullDuplex seemed to clear it as well several days ago :/ )

any ideas ?

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”