About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
cbennett
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6c
Operating System: Windows

In search of VLC stream expert for hire

Postby cbennett » 01 Dec 2007 00:46

I hope this post is in accordance with the guidelines of this forum. We are in immediate need of someone to help us accomplish the following, and are willing to pay generously to complete the task.

We have an RTSP stream from a HAVA (myhava.com) device that we are able to view using VLC Media Player or QuickTime, but not Windows Media Player. We need to relay this video to a Streaming Server so that it can be delivered in a Web page to multiple viewers.

We spoke with a Flash Media Server CDN and they said the device has to establish a NetConnection to begin streaming, which at the moment it cannot. A Windows Media Server CDN couldn't help us, saying "It appears the RTSP stream is of the QuickTime variety, not Windows," and as I mentioned, it will not open in Windows Media Player. I explored a little with Darwin but hit a dead end.

The ultimate question is: how can I get the video that I'm able to view in my VLC Player over to a CDN/media server?

If you are able to help immediately, please reply with your thoughts.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: In search of VLC stream expert for hire

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 01 Dec 2007 01:37

Why don't you use VLC to restream to MMSH/ASF/WMV2/MP3 ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cbennett
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cbennett » 01 Dec 2007 03:57

Because that's about where my technical ability ends. I'm very web savvy, but the world of streaming video is new to me - yet I need to complete this task.

One of the CDN's we're speaking with set up a QuickTime Automatic Unicast for me, giving me the name of a host, an .spd file and a username and password. Can I somehow broadcast the RTSP stream I'm viewing in VLC to there?

Thanks for your help.

cbennett
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cbennett » 04 Dec 2007 17:14

While StreamGuys are diligently working on this for us, I would like to open the challenge to this community as well. If you're able to use VLC to relay the following source stream to their Darwin server before we crack this (and provide instruction on how-to), we will PayPal $500.00USD to the expert.

Source:
rtsp://199.227.214.186/

Destination:
* Transmission = Automatic Unicast
* Host Name = qtss.streamguys.com
* File = bennettc.sdp
* username = bennettc
* password = cde34rfv

Then, to tune in to the stream, use this link:
rtsp://qtss.streamguys.com/bennettc.sdp

cbennett
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cbennett » 06 Dec 2007 01:16

Any success/takers on this? We're pretty desperate :oops:

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 06 Dec 2007 05:39

First step would be to have it run stable in just the VLC player and I don't see that working in either 0.8.6d or 0.9.0 development (even with large cache values). It stops after about 10 seconds with late picture skipped or PTS out of range messages...

dom.robinson
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dom.robinson » 15 Dec 2007 18:01

Hi

We have a range of streams running thorugh our live Windows Media CDN that are based on VLC sources.

VLC does not write a perfect ASF stream to HTTP transport. This is why WMS fails to lock on.

We have a tool we have developed called a 'reheadering service' that will acquire a stream from VLC and output a more stable stream that WMS can lock on to.

It is not currently in release since VLC lacks some 'normal' signalling that we are finalising compensation for in our software. We have 8 beta channels from one client who was desparate. We are not going to release the software commercially, but we will provide it as a rented service on top of a full CDN service from us.

If you are interested in a CDN service from us which can use VLC as a source then do drop me a line: dom.robinson@global-mix.com

Regards

Dom Robinson - CTO - Global-MIX
The Multicast Internet Exchange
Live Streaming : Multicast : Simulcast

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”