Why no h.264/MPEG4 AVC in Ogg support?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Nil Einne
New Cone
New Cone

Why no h.264/MPEG4 AVC in Ogg support?

Postby Nil Einne » 26 Jun 2007 16:55

Sorry if this had already been answered but I searched and didn't come up with anything...

Why is there no h.264/MPEG4 AVC in Ogg container transcoding support? I was under the impression the Ogg container is perfectly capable of support h.264 video since it's a well designed open source codec. It's definitely a resonably common thing out there and I haven't read anything to suggest that it's unstandard.

If you're wondering why I want support well I unfortunately have a very very low upstream bandwidth thanks largely to our monopolistic Telecom here in NZ. Since I have a decent processor, I want to use h.264 and SPX (it's largely voice) together so I can achieve maximum potential out of my very low bandwidth. If Theora were competitive against h.264 at this low bit rate I would consider it but from all I've seen of it previously, it's not (and my VLC also seems to crash when I'm trying to transcode to Theora).

Cheers

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Why no h.264/MPEG4 AVC in Ogg support?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Jun 2007 19:23

Did you try it ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Nil Einne
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Why no h.264/MPEG4 AVC in Ogg support?

Postby Nil Einne » 27 Jun 2007 09:55

Yes doesn't work. Interestingly h.264 works in most other containers including ASF & PS where it's currently specified in the docs as not working although it doesn't work in RAW or WAV not surprisingly. As Speex doesn't seem to work in any other containter the only option is to stream them seperately

N.B. I'm using VLC 0.8.6c wxWidgets (in Windows XP)

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”