Stream from multiple tv-cards (PCI)

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
anse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Stream from multiple tv-cards (PCI)

Postby anse » 13 Jan 2007 18:16

Hi.

We have 5 Hauppage Win-TV PVR USB2 connected to a WinXP pc, using VLC/VLM to stream one tv-channel from each tuner using multicast and the hardware mpeg-encoders in the PVR USB2. All in all 5 multicast streams.

But we want to get rid of all the external USB units and get a bunch of PCI cards instead. Anyone know if it is possible to use multiple WinTV-PVR 500 (with dual tuner) or PVR 250/350 under WinXp with VLC/VLM?

Or would you recommend other PCI tuner cards (analog)?

Anse

sgross
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Same Idea...

Postby sgross » 20 Jan 2007 04:52

I'm looking to do the same thing, but I want to use PCIe.
There are a few brands out there. I want to see just how many I can get going on one expanded server. I'll let you know if I can find the funding for the hardware!

Here's a question though:
Will VLC work with any DirectX compatible tuner?
(It's compatible with Windows Media Center)

nhdpatrick
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nhdpatrick » 30 Jan 2007 16:56

I am attempting a similar build but am having problems referencing the encoders within directshow, since they each have the same description. I am able to successfully begin one encode/transcode/streaming operation with one board, but subsequent attempts will crash VLC. I can only access one encoder, no way to reference others. I am using Hauppague WinPVR-350 encoder boards.

Does anyone know how to specify composite vs s-video vs RF input from the command line on a 350 board? Or how to switch between NTSC and ATSC for RF inputs via CLI?

Thanks

dan_2121
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dan_2121 » 06 Feb 2007 22:05

Im trying to do the same thing with multiple PCI cards. I only have one for testing so far. Its a WinFast DTV1000 BDA DVB-T tuner running on XP pro. I have a test network setup and so far have successfully streamed live camera feeds, DVD discs/files ETC. I tried using DVB web scheduler but that cant run multiple instances. Anyways what im stuck with is i cant get this tuner to stream or even play locally using direct show. Where i am not sure/understand is after i select the file->open capture device ->and select video device name and the audio source under advanced options. Here i don’t know what all the advanced options should be set to. For Example:

- Chroma Format

- Input frame rate

- TV channel

-Country Code (for Australia)

- Video/Audio input/output

Any advice/help would be much appreciated as i just cant figure this out. Spent hours and cant get a single frame.

nhdpatrick
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nhdpatrick » 06 Feb 2007 22:17

Well, I've reverted to using Linux (Fedora Core 6) and have found the experience much more technically involved, but also much more flexible and functional. Linux V4L2 and IVTV allow for granular control over the WinPVR-350 boards, and will allow multiple boards to be used in the same system.

Now my challenges include: figuring out why I can't transcode using ffmpeg; using ALSA audio I/O with VLC; and figuring out how to script what I want done from the command line. For those who care, most (all?) of the command line options for vlc in Linux can be displayed by running 'vlc -H --advanced'.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”