VLC streming problem !

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Crackjack

VLC streming problem !

Postby Crackjack » 30 Apr 2006 19:05

Hi ! I'm tryng to stream over internet , i follow some previous post but i still have a problem .

Locally all works great with http or mmsh on port 1234. I tested different compression and all works well.

I open port 1234 on my router/and firewall and port is reachable from outside.

I use a dynamic dns and when connect to http:\\XXXX.dyndns.org:1234 with a VLC client it seems to start but after few second it stops.

TTL set to 10
Chache set to 300
streming a MPG file
window XP Sp2
VLC version 0.8.4a

Please help !
bye
Crackjcack :evil:

Dunto
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Dunto » 15 May 2006 17:42

Try increasing your cache size. Also, check the number of hops your packets take. (Run tracert with the IP address: tracert server_ip. My packets take 20 hops just to reach google.com!)
The ttl value specifies the max number of routers (hops) your packets pass through. You may have to increase it to 30 or so.

shimmyshack

what connection do you have1

Postby shimmyshack » 17 May 2006 13:07

could it be that your out going connection is too slow for the bit rate you are streaming. a 192kbits mp3 is about 25KB/s outgoing, or almost all of a standard UK low end broadband connection, therefore your cache will fill, but if too small you cant stream. (unless you cache it all - basically pre downloading it!!)

some cable connections used by NTL and others are hopeless at outgoing connections, things start off ok, but then the bandwidth drastically drops, presumably to stop people from offering servers from their cable connections. Cheeky and clever since the outgoing rate seems to be capped after a few 100K is sent.

hipe that helps

wlarsong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby wlarsong » 17 May 2006 17:55

the http insterface incorporates TCP. Meaning that all data must be sent and recieved i order for it to be a successful connection. If TCP looses data it will request it again and again. and if the separation between the stream and the incoming data is to far apart then it will drop the stream and try to catch up later.

Use UDP, UDP is a more simple portocol that ignores drops, in video this is ok because you can still maintain visibility without having all the data. In most cases using the UDP protocal will allow you to have higher bit rates etc.

However UDP is a straight shot one time uses protocal meaning you broadcast to the address you want to send to and you listen on that port in which you want to recieve.

Example:
Say my broadcasting machine is 192.168.10.2 and say my listner is 192.168.10.3

On the broadcast machine type

Run VLC>Open File> Stream Output> Settings> UDP: 192.168.10.3> Set your transcode and encapsulation> I recommend DIV 3. Then hit ok. Set TTL to 32 depending on how many routers you can also do a trace rout for the exact number. If your on a LAN set it to 1

On the listner
Run VLC> Open Network Stream Select the Port that you are broadcasting under in the UDP/RDP field and hit OK and it should show

You will find that with UDP on a LAN you can transfer at the HIGHEST rate because most lans are 100MBPS/8 which is around 12MbPS minus effienncy so around 5-6 Megabyte streams using UDP.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”