RTSP streaming to Darwin

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
daytooner
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

RTSP streaming to Darwin

Postby daytooner » 02 Dec 2013 02:27

I am streaming a file from vlc to a darwin server. But I can't seem to get the transcoding right (I am guessing that's the problem).

This is the vlc stream I am generating:

Code: Select all

cvlc -vvv --color "/nas/Videos/Capture.mpg" --sout '#transcode{venc=ffmpeg{keyint=1},vcodec=mp4v,vb=100k,acodec=mp4a,fps=10,ab=8k,channels=1,samplerate=44100}:rtp{mp4a-latm,dst=localhost,ttl=127,sdp=file:///usr/local/movies/movie.sdp}'
This causes the following error:

]The encoder 'aac' is experimental but experimental codecs are not enabled, add '-strict -2' if you want to use it.
and I get no audio stream - but the video is okay.

If I add "--sout-ffmpeg-strict -2" to the command line, I won't get this error, but when I try to display that stream in another vlc instance, and I get this error:

live555 demux error: SETUP of'video/MP4V-ES' failed 400 Bad Request
I have spent many hours/days setting this up, and I know I am close to getting this to work.

FWIW: I am running on Fedora 19 64bit, with the stock version: "VLC media player 2.0.9 Twoflower"

Please, someone help!

TIA

ken

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: RTSP streaming to Darwin

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 02 Dec 2013 16:57

There is an incompatibility between Darwin server and live555 client there. I am afraid a VLC forum is not the best place to get help...
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

daytooner
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby daytooner » 02 Dec 2013 17:51

Thank for the reply and info.

Any suggestions where to post a question for this?

FWIW: The only reason I am using darwin is that it works through NAT'd firewall, ie: it allows me to set a fixed server IP for the remote client, instead of using the translated source (and my firewall doesn't do fixups). Is there a way to do this with VLC?

Thanks again,

ken

nobody.loopback
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby nobody.loopback » 05 Dec 2013 22:06

Works for me. The difference however is, I use QTSS in MacOSX - but, that should not make a difference.

It does not work with VLC version 2 releases for me (when using VLC as the transcoding engine), see here:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114968

also I use h264 and, not mp4v as codec, but, when If I remember correct, it also did work with this codec.

I also tried many different version of VLC, for meVLC version 1.1.10 is the one I would recommend.

But this is only a guess.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”