Streaming stops for several secs for no reason

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Scythe
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming stops for several secs for no reason

Postby Scythe » 31 Jan 2007 17:30

Right now, I'm trying to stream an Xvid encoded small movie around 200 megs for test purposes, with crappy audio over HTTP, with 100 mbit bandwith for the server, for 2-4 mbit bandwith clients.

It's quite obvious, that this kind of bandwith would be enough for the clients, though it seems that it's not. For some reason, the stream is continous for them for about 5-6 mins, but after that, it just stops for several secs, then continues to work for some mins again. They're not downloading anything, and nothing's eating the bandwith on the server side as well.

Could anyone give me some ideas about the possible reasons of this? I thought about raising the puffer size, but I just couldn't find any options for that on neither side. In theory, these kind of connections would easily deal with this low-quality video, so I'm a bit clueless here...

g0tcha
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby g0tcha » 02 Feb 2007 06:55

i am working on a similar thing and have similar results, check the MESSAGES file in the clients who are streaming. see what error it shows

in the VLC player if you click VIEW -> MESSAGES you should see this. also try to stream mp4v it might work better, unless there is a reason you using Xvid.

what OS you streaming from ? what options or command line

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”