Streaming Audio over a Wireless network

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
popformula
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming Audio over a Wireless network

Postby popformula » 02 Nov 2006 00:05

Hi,

We're having a house party on Saturday and we'd like to have one machine controlling all the other PCs' speakers so that every room in the house has the same music.

The computers all have wireless internet access using various 802.11g adapters and one Netgear WGR614 v6 router (802.11g, 54Mb/s), so I thought I could use VLC to multicast, the router documentation says it supports multicasting.

Although the VLC clients on 3 PCs and a Mac were all able to connect to the stream, the stream was choppy and broken. Interestingly, the skips were different on the different client machines.

Instead we tried an http stream, this worked fine and all the machines again were able to connect with perfect quality, but each time the playlist moved onto the next track, the clients were all dropped.

Any suggestions as to why the multicast was poor quality but the http stream was perfect? Any workarounds as to streaming an entire playlist? Or any other solutions using different software?

Thanks!

Joe

popformula
New Cone
New Cone

Postby popformula » 04 Nov 2006 15:28

The party's going to kick off in a few hours, and we've got nowhere. I tried plugging my pc directly into the router and there was still the problem of skipping and jumping when we used multicast. We're going to resort to using an iTunes playlist and all pressing "play" at the same time. Surely there's a more elegant solution!?

Yours in desperation,

Joe

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 05 Nov 2006 21:55

sorry for the late answer :/ (hope the party was fun). You can add --sout-keep to the server's command line to prevent cuts in audio when streaming.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”