super high bandwidth UDP streaming (30 MBps)?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
mguertin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

super high bandwidth UDP streaming (30 MBps)?

Postby mguertin » 13 Jun 2005 21:06

Am I dreaming? or do you think this might be possible .... the idea is to stream out a single (large) stream and let the video wall plugin pull it apart at client machines ... I'd be looking at trying to get 5-6MBps per client x 5 clients... format is still in question, but it might be something like Mpeg 4/H.264

I'm not sure if this is something that I could do or not, I've done some smaller tests and been pretty happy with the results, but not sure if this is just way beyond what I should be able to accomplish! (there is budget for hardware, dedicated giga networking, etc). Any advice would be appreciated.

somjuk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby somjuk » 16 Oct 2006 01:17

Multicast

mguertin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mguertin » 16 Oct 2006 04:29

haha yes. That wasn't the question, it was more a question of whether or not VLC could handle it.

The short answer is yes it could and did, sorta -- (this post is 1.5 years old). The machines just werent' capable of dealing with a 30Mb/s video stream so we ended up going with a hardware based solution instead. VLC handled some pretty amazing amounts of data though, which was very impressive ... the bottleneck was at the CPU's.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”