how to transcode a video and just remux the audio

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
pieroxy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

how to transcode a video and just remux the audio

Postby pieroxy » 19 Aug 2006 11:35

I have an MPEG-TS movie (MPEG2, AC3) and am trying to convert it to H264/AC3 (to save space). I tried to convert it to H264 the following way:

"vlc" -vvv "movie.ts" :sout="#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=4000,scale=1}:standard{access=file,url=test.mp4}" vlc:quit

with limited success since there is no audio in the resulting stream. Additionnally, in VLC, when I open the stream with VLC the flux info shows me two streams with codec avc1... Dunno why.

Anyways, how can one transcode the video part of a movie but just mux the audio without encoding it? Or alternatively, how can one mux a mp4 file w/ h264 with an external ac3 file?

Thanks in advance!

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 19 Aug 2006 18:05

1: you cannot store ac3 audio in .mp4 (officially at least, and that's why it's not implemented in vlc i guess)
2: the original MPEG-TS probably has 2 programs, resulting in two video streams.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

pieroxy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby pieroxy » 19 Aug 2006 19:28

I realize I didn't even specify a mux ;-)

Thanks for your answer. Muxing in TS works fine. As for the extra video stream, the original file has only one, so I guess it is a vlc bug. Since it could not fit the audio stream in there it made a dummy video stream... or something ;)

Thanks anyways for the help!

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”