VLC as a scrambler server

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
leroi1690
New Cone
New Cone

VLC as a scrambler server

Postby leroi1690 » 30 Nov 2022 12:12

Hello,

I have HDMI TO LAN encoder device which takes HDMI inputs and encodes them to RTMP, UDP or whatever.

I also have a modulator device that receives the encoded streams as a UDP from the Encoder device and then transmits these streams to the client.

So my system is something like this:

HDMI Source => HDMI TO LAN Encoder => LAN TO RF Modulator => Client

but in the current scenario, everyone can receive my streams whether they are authorized or not and ofc this is not desirable and I need only the authorized clients to receive my streams.

So, I managed to build a streaming server to work as a mediator between my Encoder device and the Modulator device, but I also want this server to scramble my streams.

my question is can VLC does this job or it's not the right tool?

I have read also about DVBlast but I found nothing about scrambling. I also found non-free software like Cesbo-Astra that could achieve this easily with a CAS server but I want free & open-source software because I am building a non-profit streaming service.

my last question, if the VLC can do the scrambling part, can I share the streams on my OSCAM server?

Alaric
Developer
Developer

Re: VLC as a scrambler server

Postby Alaric » 30 Nov 2022 15:48

IIUC you wan't the server to losslessly scramble your stream so un-authorized clients have trouble seeing the content but authorized clients could somehow decode it?
As far as I know there is no such video filter for that :/

However, you might be able to encrypt video and audio using csa keys via the ts muxer, would this approach be fine for you?

leroi1690
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC as a scrambler server

Postby leroi1690 » 30 Nov 2022 17:20

IIUC you wan't the server to losslessly scramble your stream so un-authorized clients have trouble seeing the content but authorized clients could somehow decode it?
As far as I know there is no such video filter for that :/

However, you might be able to encrypt video and audio using csa keys via the ts muxer, would this approach be fine for you?
I have Cesbo Astra on a Linux PC which works as a streaming server that receives RTMP from the encoder device and then sends UDP URLs to the modulator.
Besides the Astra server, I have also TVCAS a scrambler system that works as a scrambler with SimulCrypt algorithm & smartcards for the Astra server.

both softwares can achieve my goal and I can stream my videos scrambled and only those who are authorized can receive the stream ( I use OSCAM to share the smartcard with my clients ).

My problem is that Cesbo Astra is not free software & I want free software that can achieve the same result.

I am not sure if the VLC is what I am searching for or not and not sure if the CSA Keys can be in somehow shared with the OSCAM. If I will be able to share my CSA Kyes to my OSCAM users then fine this is what I want.

PS: my clients don't use VLC or any media player to receive my streams, they are using digital satellite receivers that can be configured to connect to OSCAM using a username & password

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”