Push Stream to a Public IP.

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
L5730
New Cone
New Cone

Push Stream to a Public IP.

Postby L5730 » 07 Aug 2014 19:07

Hi all,
I've just joined because I am having a few issues.
My friend wants to stream 2 channel audio from his (Linux) laptop in one location to another (Mac) computer in a different location. Both systems have private IP addresses behind their own respective routers. The two router have different public IP addresses.

I have managed to successfully push a UDP stream from my Windows 7 machine to his home Public IP address on port 1234.
He has to enable port forwarding in both the router firewall and software, but we had it working.
I was using the input from "Monitor Mix" from the M-Audio Delta AP2496 sound card, and transcoding to a 160kbs 44100Hz MP3.

That seems to work OK ish. There's probably a better way to do it, but I don't know how, if one has no access to the router on the Sending end.

Code: Select all

Options= :dshow-vdev=none :dshow-adev=Monitor (M-Audio Delta Audiophi :live-caching=300 :sout=#transcode{vcodec=none,acodec=mp3,ab=160,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:udp{mux=ts,dst=x.x.x.x:1234} :sout-keep
(obviously, I've blanked out the IP address)

One problem I am facing is that VLC will, more times than most, just sit there and fail to stream at all. Exact same settings, but it decides not to play ball. VLC then requires killing from Windows Task Manager because it won't close via it's 'X', it just minimizes.
I put part of that problem down to a potential sample rate change on the M-Audio sound device. But it does still happen when it's all been 44100Hz.

Does anyone have a clue why this may happen? Why VLC just decides not to stream at all, when it previously had been rather happy?

As a second note, if my friend is receiving a UDP stream from me on port 1234, is it supposed to still work if he then uses 2 more instances of VLC, one to stream to his own Public IP @ port 1235 and the other to receive this second UDP stream?
Can two UDP streams be received at once, using two different VLC instances, with very close port numbers?

Thanks kindly for any input in all this.

L5730
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Push Stream to a Public IP.

Postby L5730 » 12 Aug 2014 00:39

Firstly, I have managed to successfully stream to 127.0.0.1 and my own Public IP (with router port forwarding) successfully multiple times without fail. I have no idea what was causing the issue, because I didn't pull open the message window - a dumb move.

Some issues I was having, and mostly my friend was having with older version on Linux, and myself an older version on Win7 Starter, was due to mux not being defined. The generated string was pretty much the same, except that, for some reason, mux=ts was not present, and therefore VLC would sit there and do nothing, only generating an error message in the messages box.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”