streaming HTTP through router

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
wlarsong
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

streaming HTTP through router

Postby wlarsong » 09 Aug 2005 17:00

I have a DSL modem/router/firewall. I am trying to stream to a remote PC off my LAN. I can stream http to anyone on my LAN but i want to stream a feed to someone off my LAN in a remoter location. I have a router that takes a static IP and shares it amongst 4 other computers and then the router dynamically assigns local ip addresses. I have opened the port 70 on my router and am trying to use that port to stream on. How do i get it so that somone can see my stream remotely while going through this router.

thank you

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 10 Aug 2005 02:15

You need to tell your router that when someone from outside connectecs on that port, that it should be "patched trough" to your computer that hosts the server. This is a router configuration issue.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

goelectric
New Cone
New Cone

http stream and Firewall on XP

Postby goelectric » 21 Sep 2005 16:17

You also need to open your XP Firewall for the port you are streaming on.
Control Panel/Windows Firewall/Advanced/LocalInternet Connectio/Settings/Advanced/Add/VLC Server/ and set the IP address and port numbers appropriately.

frederic

Streaming from dreambox

Postby frederic » 22 Sep 2005 22:10

Hi,

I have a dreambox. I can see TV on LAN with VLC but I can't see TV on WEB even if the port 8709 I use is open.

I have a adsl connexion 600/199

Please can you tell me the procedure.

FB

Davethewave83

Postby Davethewave83 » 01 Oct 2005 11:45

I have the same issue, here's the thing. I own the Westell router/modem in one, I go to 192.168.1.1 to access the router's config and I go into services. I made a service of 1-65535 ports to be trigger ports which are Dynamic, in theory this should open all my ports to all computers depending on what is requested correct? (sort of like a switch) So anyway, I open VLC media player, I use the wizard to select the video clip and on the other computer I attempt to connect to it via the "true IP address" my ISP leases to me. This should send the request to the router for that port, the router should check all computers (being that it is a dynamic service) and it should find the one that is open on port 8080 running the video... but it doesn't. On my lan I can dial up my 192.168.1.x IP and watch the video over LAN but I can't seem to figure out router settings. I wrote to Westell, they said the router is exclusivly supported by "verizon" but verizon is nearly impossible to contact so I am so out of luck on the tech support with them. I miss being able to use a network switch with my computers! but now that is against the Verizon ToS. Pfft. Is this even possible? or am I dreaming. Thanks!

Flying Jack
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Flying Jack » 01 Oct 2005 12:48

You should see in your router configuration the part "NAT" or "Virtual Server" or "NAPT" or "DMZ"...

You just have to forward the port you use to the LAN IP of your encoder.

Exemple:

Encoder (192.168.0.27, Port used: 70/TCP)
Verify if you can watch the stream in your LAN (-> If yes, it's ok, if no, look for firewall software configuration)
Forward your 70/TCP port in your router
Then, everybody can watch your stream using your public IP.
I've made this long time ago:
http://www.edonkey2000-france.com/forum ... y.php?f=39

:)

Postby Guest » 18 Oct 2005 03:04

Disable your firewalls just for a few minutes to test whether they're blocking the connection. I thought I had mine configured and it turned out it was blocking vlc.

billharz

vlc streaming depuis la dreambox

Postby billharz » 15 Nov 2005 21:22

Etant donné que tu habites en France, je suppose que tu parles français.

J'ai un router zyxel, j'ai pratiquement tout essayé mais je n'arrive toujours pas à faire en sorte à diffuser ma dreambox sur le web. Ma connexion est 600/100.

Peux-tu m'aider pas à pas afin que j'y arrive

Fred

You should see in your router configuration the part "NAT" or "Virtual Server" or "NAPT" or "DMZ"...

You just have to forward the port you use to the LAN IP of your encoder.

Exemple:

Encoder (192.168.0.27, Port used: 70/TCP)
Verify if you can watch the stream in your LAN (-> If yes, it's ok, if no, look for firewall software configuration)
Forward your 70/TCP port in your router
Then, everybody can watch your stream using your public IP.
I've made this long time ago:
http://www.edonkey2000-france.com/forum ... y.php?f=39

:)

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”