Recording Streamed Output??

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
sam13184
New Cone
New Cone

Recording Streamed Output??

Postby sam13184 » 12 Dec 2013 19:06

I am recording (using the VLAN record button) a RTSP streamed H.264 output from a high definition camera over extended lengths of time.

I have noticed that after I stop recording, the computer's disk usage goes to 100% and the VLC program is transferring a lot. My files are anywhere from 5-70 Gbytes.

When looking in the folder that the MP4 is placed, it appears that all the data is there as soon as I stop the recording but the file is not recognizable by any player until the VLC program finishes whatever it is doing, which may take 2 hours.

My question is, what is the VLC program doing to the file after I finish recording and is there any way that I can shorten the process?

Sorry if my question is vague and hopefully someone can help me make sense of it.

Thank you

nobody.loopback
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: Recording Streamed Output??

Postby nobody.loopback » 14 Dec 2013 14:04

Try to save to a Mpeg Transport stream instead.
I dont know what exactly VLC does here, but, a transport stream should be playable regardless if recording is still in progress or finished.

sam13184
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sam13184 » 14 Dec 2013 17:57

Thank you for the reply. I was able to use convert and store the stream as a .TS file which allows me to record in packets and play back even if VLC crashes.

This was a great help BUT my records are now only 720x480 and 30 frames per second? Do you know if this is configurable or is a .TS extension restricted by this resolution and frame rate?

Thank you

nobody.loopback

Postby nobody.loopback » 14 Dec 2013 18:44

A transport stream does not care about the contents inside. Did you try to transcode your recording ? That should not be necessary until you want to preserve harddisk space.
if you just do something like: sout=#standard{mux=ts,access=file,dst=/test.ts}
you should get exactly what you received.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”