Streaming HLS to a web server via HTTP

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
bradmac
New Cone
New Cone

Streaming HLS to a web server via HTTP

Postby bradmac » 25 Oct 2013 05:13

Hi,

My server supports HTTP Live Streaming, and I'd like my users to be able to stream live video through the server using VLC. To do this i'd like a user to begin streaming with the output going to a server using PUT. For HLS that means doing repetitive PUT's to the m3u8 files, and also each segment.

Put another way, while VLC does of course output streams to HTTP, but its acting as a server, I'd like VLC to act as a HTTP client and upload the segments to the real server.

Does anyone know if this is possible? One way which i can do it now is for my users to mount the server as a drive using webdav, and then get VLC to generate to the mounted path. But thats a complex process for my users, so hoping it can be done inside VLC.

Thanks,
Brad

sharbatgula
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Streaming HLS to a web server via HTTP

Postby sharbatgula » 05 Nov 2013 08:40

Hi,

I don't think that's possible at the moment, I've been interested in the similar (VLC transfering the chunks to remote location). Your best bet is to find a way and transfer the files to the server's directory and I recommend sharing the web server's directory and mounting it as a local mount point (drive).

BR

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”