Need help with showing video name and playtime streaming.

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Chromatic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Need help with showing video name and playtime streaming.

Postby Chromatic » 27 Jun 2013 16:11

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to put this -- and not even sure if this is a function of VLC the media player, or more to do with broadcasting software -- but given the options I've seen so far to overlay text and so on in the options I figured VLC should be able to do this, or some addition script, etc.

I stream on JTV,.. and with many popular streams I see the video playlists being streamed having the video's playtime and the name of the video(show) itself displayed. I've seen it in all corners, and of variable font sizes and colors.

I can't seem to find this function in my VLC.

Example -- I would like to have it show something like this:

Series-2-Episode-4 18:32/45:00mins (Basically the name and runtime).

I would guess that the name is just me renaming the filenames of the video's being played to the series and episode (or however I want them to show up) -- but the runtime I have no idea.

The only thing I've seen is a text overlay option.. but that is just a single piece of text you can type in and it doesn't change.

I would really appreciate any help on this topic/question. (If it isn't related to VLC or isn't possible with VLC.. perhaps a point in the right direction?)

Thank you,

Chromatic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Need help with showing video name and playtime streaming

Postby Chromatic » 29 Jun 2013 18:15

Update for any who are looking for how to accomplish this with VLC in the future without wrangling with scripts/code.

For future reference of others who are looking for the same ability in VLC without the headache I went to:

To add Filename + Playtime/Duration anywhere on your video -- go to:

Tools -- Preferences -- (all) -- >Marquee --> Now in the text box here is the key:

Enter the following: $N $T/$D --- These three variables are the key,.. the N is the a built in variable for filename,.. T = Current time elapsed,.. and D = Duration of the video file. You can format it anyway you like.

Further, I recommend adjusting the font size and color (if you wish to use something other than white) here. I personally used Font size,pixels: 10 -- (As I'm streaming, and want it non obtrusive).

Also, adjusting the Refresh period in ms is something to adjust if you wish. I changed Refresh period in ms from: 1000 to 5000. Thus, my counter updates every 5 seconds, makes it a bit less distracting while watching video. You can leave it at default 1000ms =1 sec updates.. or go higher.

Now Save.

Lastly go to Tools --> Effects and Filters -- > Video Effects -- > Now in the bottom right corner you will see "Add Text" -- Add your $N $T/$D here, and select your position (I used bottom-right).

** Note: The variables $N, $T and $D need to be capitalized!

** Note: -- If you have it at the bottom right, or against an edge like I do -- Given the differing sizes of filenames,.. it will occasionally cause a shaking effect as it counts down. To remedy this you simply make sure you have a *space* after your last variable. In my case a space after $D -- This gives it some literal wiggle room, and no longer has this occasional shaking on some lengths of filenames.

This seems like a much easier solution than some scripts I've seen written just for time and so on,.. and works on the fly without a restart of VLC.

Take care,

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”