How to transcode MKV to .TS without converting?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
msp1518
New Cone
New Cone

How to transcode MKV to .TS without converting?

Postby msp1518 » 17 Apr 2013 04:01

Very simple. I have a Blu-Ray. It's been ripped to an MKV. I want to take whatever video is in that MKV wrapper and transcode it so I can stick it in Adobe Premiere Pro (CS5, on a PC and not on a MAC) for me to mess around with adding a different soundtrack (end result will be exported to Adobe Encore).

The key is, NOT re-authoring it. Not converting it. Not messing with the video.

On a Mac you would get the MKV using MakeMKV and then use MP4Tools to do a passthrough transcode (I hope I am describing this right).

That is not an option for me since I do not have a MAC so no MP4tools. :( MakeMKV works fine on a PC so I can create the mkv file easily. But then I am stuck!

People tell me, "Use VLC." Well, how? Every setting I try results in a re-authored file. The video is converted, shrunk, and that is not what I want.

I really need specific instructions because I have been at this for one full year. I kid you not. ONE YEAR with no results. I always have to send what I am working on to my friend on the other side of the world with a MAC and he does the work and sends it back. :oops:

If this is not possible is there some free software out there that is capable of doing this?

Thanks

TypX
Developer
Developer

Re: How to transcode MKV to .TS without converting?

Postby TypX » 17 Apr 2013 14:04

If you use the wizard, use stream instead of convert/save, use a file as destination, mux ts and don't check the transcoding box.

The command line should look like vlc yourfile.mkv --sout "#file{mux=ts,dst=destfile.ts}"

msp1518
New Cone
New Cone

Postby msp1518 » 17 Apr 2013 14:41

Thanks. I am looking this over but see lot of options and am unsure of what to pick.

Any ideas?

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 18 Apr 2013 10:46

I don't know the mac GUI. The command line is still the easiest way.

mundu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Linux

Postby mundu » 22 Apr 2013 18:14

Use --sout with '#std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="file"}' without the transcoding option. This will do the trick

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”