Convert to MP4 Causes Infinite Streaming Loop

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
CanadianPilgrim
New Cone
New Cone

Convert to MP4 Causes Infinite Streaming Loop

Postby CanadianPilgrim » 23 Dec 2012 05:49

I have been a user of VLC for a few years now. I have used a prior version of VLC on an XP computer to convert MPG files to MP4 without any problems.

I am now using a WIN7 computer with VLC version 2.0.5 attempting the same conversions, same settings. I select "Media...Convert/Save..." I "Add" the mpg file in the first dialogue box, then select "Convert/Save" to enter the path and filename of the MP4 file as the "Destination File". Profile is H.264 + AAC(MP4), with no deinterlacing or raw data dump. Then I select "Start".

This is the same process I have used for years in the prior version. This is different in version 2.0.5: On Start, the counter at the bottom right runs faster than in the prior version and VLC indicates that the video is "streaming". Once it gets to the the end of the counter, it starts the process again, and again, and again... I let it run for 3 days once just for curiosity.

From Windows Explorer, I see that the file is being built as the streaming is in process; however, the file size returns to Zero when it loops. :(

Someone please tell me I am missing a simple toggle, or tell me where I can get earlier versions of VLC.

CanadianPilgrim
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Convert to MP4 Causes Infinite Streaming Loop

Postby CanadianPilgrim » 25 Dec 2012 03:35

Solved the problem myself after considering the question I posed about a simple toggle (I went looking for one). Apparently the loop button for playback was on. This was a button I have never used.

Query this: If the media file is being opened for the purpose of re-encoding, why would the loop function not be disabled?? Who would ever want loop on while encoding?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 25 Dec 2012 06:54

Yep, this is a bit weird, indeed.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

DCAP
New Cone
New Cone

Postby DCAP » 07 Oct 2018 04:29

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I am having a hard time turning off the loop. When I try to change it on the bottom of the screen it won't let me. How did you turn the looping off?

JonZ
New Cone
New Cone

Postby JonZ » 27 Jan 2019 10:22

Wow, thank you CanadianPilgrim! Over six years later and this is still an issue. I downloaded VLC to combine a video and audio track, which should have been a simple operation, but I kept getting a repeated error message that my resulting file name would be overwritten and I could either choose to overwrite or cancel. However, clicking either option simply resulted in the same error repeating and I would have to force close VLC with the task manager. After reading this topic, which was the third result with Startpage search I solved the issue too by toggling off the loop option in VLC. Why would the loop option even remain checked when doing a video conversion - it seems it should default to Off when doing conversions or maybe it should be Off to begin with.
Thanks for your post. I am having a hard time turning off the loop. When I try to change it on the bottom of the screen it won't let me. How did you turn the looping off?
DCAP you simply click on the loop button a couple of times until it is no longer highlighted. There is a Loop All setting and a Loop One setting which is why you need to click twice.

JoJoUK
New Cone
New Cone

Convert ≠ playback

Postby JoJoUK » 01 Jul 2019 23:47

Six and a half years later this is still a problem!!! I've just spent an hour trying to solve this stupid little problem! :geek:

😱

Come on you VLC whizkids... can't you simply disconnect the playback function from the file conversion function? Is that so difficult? Or, as previously mentioned, can't you cause the loop function to switch off when conversion begins? I mean, really, is this so hard to accomplish? :shock:

🙄

Come on guys... pull your fingers out won't you? :roll:

👀

Dam it man! Just do it! :evil:

😱

We love you, honestly :lol:

P.S: I'm having a good laugh with these pasted in smilies, which for some reason are magnified 10,000 times!!! Another little bug in the system, eh?

ThaRoosta
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ThaRoosta » 20 Feb 2020 07:40

yeah this is happening to me, and yes I did have loop playback on but I closed the program opened it back up toggled loop off went through the menus to convert a DVD (Cowboy Bebop - The Complete Series - Disc 1 - Episodes 1-6) to h.265 mp4 and it started up, acted like it was going to convert normally but then started doing the rapid looping in the conversion progress bar again. Loop is definitely toggled off. any thoughts?

poster72
New Cone
New Cone

Postby poster72 » 14 Apr 2021 22:00

Been having this looping issue while converting audio even though the loop option is not in use. checked over and over. Just upgraded to 3.0.12 Vetinari and it finally stopped and worked on a convert after one pass! hooray!!

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”