how to reduce the time gap in the streaming

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
luctuf
New Cone
New Cone

how to reduce the time gap in the streaming

Postby luctuf » 29 Aug 2011 16:21

Hi to all! It's possible to reduce the 7/8 seconds time lag when I stream audio and video?

Hardthof
New Cone
New Cone

Re: how to reduce the time gap in the streaming

Postby Hardthof » 01 Sep 2011 15:03

Is your Video out of sync or are you refering to the delay between server and client?

server client delay can be reduced by : Preferences -> Input & Codec Settings -> Default caching policy.

Audio Delay Up/down Shortcut k/j

luctuf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby luctuf » 01 Sep 2011 16:09

Thanks for the reply! Audio and video are perfectly sync, the problem is the delay between the server and the client (on the same LAN): it's possible to stream with less than 7 seconds of delay? I set the default caching policy to "Low latency" and the stream start with 4/5 seconds of delay...it's possible to further lower this delay?

Hardthof
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Hardthof » 02 Sep 2011 09:20

This is a huge delay, which sould not be caused by vlc. Altough i read a post of a dev that vlc isn't made for "live streaming"
if i understand that right, realy low latency is not achieveable by vlc so far.
Can you give some information about your settings (streaming and network) maybe "transcoding" is active?

But if you want to watch movies in sync on server and client you might try the "network synchronisation" feature.

Preferencecs, "Show all [x]" -> Advanced -> Network Sync

On Server: Network Master Clock [x]
On Client: Master Server Ip: "ip.of.your.server"

Hardt

luctuf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby luctuf » 09 Sep 2011 13:28

Hi! Sorry for the lag! :D
So: the transcoding is active, I've try to disable it but if I do that, I can't stream anymore...it's normal?

I've to send an audio/video stream coming live from a webcam: I've seen that another webcam have a minor delay...it's possible that the webcam I use is not good for stream?

Thanks in advance!

bobc02
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bobc02 » 11 Sep 2011 09:49

I'm also having a 4/5 second delay. I'm streaming from a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1150 card. The client and server are on same LAN. Here's my command line:

Code: Select all

cvlc v4l2:///dev/video0 :input-slave=alsa:// :v4l2-input=1 --mms-caching 0 --sout "#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,fps=5,vb=800,scale=1,acodec=wma2,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:http{mux=asf,dst=:1234/}" --no-sout-rtp-sap --no-sout-standard-sap --sout-keep
What are some changes I can make to see if I can reduce the delay?

Thanks!

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”