Casting multiple files in sync to multiple players.

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
cbyriel

Casting multiple files in sync to multiple players.

Postby cbyriel » 24 Jun 2005 07:37

Hi! - i'm completely new to this forum and program, so if this has been asked a thousand times, please bare with me. - Here's the situation:

I have 3 DVD's for a multi-media project that i want to play on 3 different 42" Plasma screens. The DVD's are of exactly the same length and so on, but contains different images.

The playback of the DVD's has to be 100% in sync, and one of them has a audio track as well, which act's as a sound track for them all. (throu one set of speakers)...

so my question is: could Video Lan be used to accomplish this? - so the sources are casted from one client which makes the DVD's sync...

or if not, anyone has a good idea how to do this ?..

Thanks in advance.

petgun
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Casting multiple files in sync to multiple players.

Postby petgun » 24 Jun 2005 07:57

..anyone has a good idea how to do this ?..
I think that is very hard to realize without special hardware (syncable DVD-players..?)...I would try to authorize _one_ TS-Stream with 3 video tracks and stream it to 3 different standalone network clients (Kiss/Pinnacle/Buffalo/MiniMac with VLC/???) with Video output.

Hard to do....

Postby Guest » 24 Jun 2005 10:57

Yes, I have woked on that a long time.
It is hard to get it stable.

The most easy way is to create a new Video that includes all of your Streams and then split it with the "Video Wall" Function.

Or have a look at the gis-web.com people. They have a proffesional Hardware solution doing that very well. I once used them to play 16 Channels in sync.

But, If you are interestet, we can work on that Problem and try to get VLC working...

mguertin
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mguertin » 27 Jun 2005 20:12

I've just finished research and testing for something almost exactly the same as this (but 5 screens). I made one very LARGE video and used the video wall plugin to split it for each screen, works very well. You get the odd frame drop (depending on the speed of your LAN and machines I suppose could be more/less drops), but it's no worse than any dedicated hardware I've used syncing to SMPTE or genlock.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”