DVBlast or VLC?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
Freakeao
New Cone
New Cone

DVBlast or VLC?

Postby Freakeao » 29 Sep 2009 00:34

I'm new to VLC but not to linux. I have a ATSC card setup as a DVB tuner working in my MythTV setup. I'm currently not recording with mythtv so I would like to stream live TV from my card to a popcornhour A-100 that I own. Streaming live tv in this setup is not currently supported in mythtv.

Ideally I would like to be able to tune to different channels using just my A-100. If there is a different URL for each channel thats fine.

I stumbled on DVBlast and this seems like the way to go, but I'm not finding much documentation, so I don't know if or how I can set up access to different channels. Or should I go with the full VLC, but it does seem like over kill. I do not need any modification of the DVB, just to send it raw from my tuner to the A-100. I do have a few channels with sub-channels, so I guess sending only one subchannel at a time. I don't think A-100 can filter out the specific subchannel.

Thanks for any help or pointers to the correct documents that would help me in this situation.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: DVBlast or VLC?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Sep 2009 00:47

If you don't want to modify the dvb, try dvblast
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Freakeao
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Freakeao » 29 Sep 2009 01:08

Ok, I've compiled DVBlast and it seems to be working. But now what? I'm still looking for docs on how to config this program.

Where is it streaming out?
What do I put in the config file?
How do I change channels?

Code: Select all

dvblast error: restarting dvblast debug: tuning ATSC frontend to f=0 dvblast warning: failed opening CAM device /dev/dvb/adapter0/ca0 (No such file or directory) dvblast debug: setting filter on PID 0 dvblast error: can't fopen config file (null) libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 13, expected 0) for PID 0 dvblast debug: new PAT ts_id=3207 version=1 current_next=1 dvblast debug: * number=3 pid=48 dvblast debug: * number=4 pid=64 dvblast debug: * number=5 pid=80 dvblast debug: frontend has acquired signal dvblast debug: frontend has acquired carrier dvblast debug: frontend has acquired stable FEC dvblast debug: frontend has acquired sync dvblast debug: frontend has acquired lock dvblast debug: - Bit error rate: 0 dvblast debug: - Signal strength: 65535 dvblast debug: - SNR: 29074

Freakeao
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Freakeao » 29 Sep 2009 01:57

Reading somemore about the A-100 stream support.

udp:// is not supported

http:// and rtsp:// are supported. If that makes a difference in configuring DVBlast.

md
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby md » 05 Oct 2009 08:21

Read the file INSTALL which is included with DVBlast - it's described in detail there.

DVBlast supports RTP or raw UDP, but not HTTP.

If A-100 only works with HTTP, you'll need something like udpxy to convert the stream to HTTP. Anyway you should ask A-100 manufacturer about RTP support, it's strange if they don't have it yet.

Freakeao
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Freakeao » 05 Oct 2009 23:16

I've read the INSTALL file. I wouldn't really describe it as in detail, especially for someone that is not an expert in these matters.

For example, how do you configure one stream to switch between multiple transponders?

What I think would be ideal for most people is a setup walk-thru. Where someone gives real world examples:

DVB-T
transponder 1 - channels 3,5,7
transponder 2 - channels 12,15,17

And then describes how one would go about configuring dvblast to stream out different configurations. Listing what utility programs like azap or dvbutils to get the correct frequencys and PIDs.

DVBlast sounds like a great small program, but if people don't use it because of lack of documentation (I can't be the only person to run into this problem) then it's going to help a lot less people than it could.

Thanks for all the work on the program so far

md
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby md » 06 Oct 2009 08:38

DVBlast is not a video on demand solution. It could be used to tune to (one) specified transponder and stream (multiple) channels from it.
Example for DVB-S is given in the INSTALL file.

Your requirements are very different - you want to stream just one selected channel at a time to the A-100 box.
In principle this is doable - but you'll need to write a shell script which handles channel/transponder switching according to your needs.

For switching between channels on the same transponder, you need to change the config file and send HUP signal to dvblast.
For switching to a different transponder you have to kill dvblast completely and start it with different parameters.

spacedvb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: DVBlast ATSC Error Frontend type 3

Postby spacedvb » 01 Apr 2011 17:57

How did you tune ATSC with DVBLAST, I am trying to do same and getting result only on Scan.

When I type :scan /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-NTSC-center-frequencies-8VSB -u > channels.txt

then I type: dvblast -a 0 -c /home/multimedia/dvblast/M1.conf -f 177000000 -m VSB_8 -b 8 -e
I am getting error here : unknow frontend type 3

i am using a HVR 16000 .

Any help will be appricatte

All i need is Tune the frequency , also here is the .confg file for the multicast and SID.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”