DVB card CPU performance

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
cnawfal
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

DVB card CPU performance

Postby cnawfal » 01 Mar 2011 12:39

Hello evey one, i just begin a project where i need to record channels from a dvb t or s card and send it to a multicast adress in live time. Or to stor it in ahard drive. First i need to buy the DVB t card, do you have any suggestion about the cards that might be compatible with VLC . I tried to transcode some HD video from the Net but my CPU and Memory could not do it my PC stops. Which CPU can you suggest me that can transcod 8 channels and transcode them in live time.
I need to know the material that i have to buy befor begining the project

Thank you for your help

dansus
New Cone
New Cone

Re: DVB card CPU performance

Postby dansus » 22 Mar 2011 06:09

Your going to need some serious cycles to do that, like 1 dual core cpu per SD stream and even then i think it would be missing frames all over.

VLC will drop frames to keep the stream going in real time, so need to tell it to not do that and use a buffer to keep the frames, try;

Code: Select all

:no-sout-transcode-hurry-up :sout-transcode-audio-sync

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 22 Mar 2011 13:49

VLC will drop frames to keep the stream going in real time, so need to tell it to not do that and use a buffer to keep the frames, try;

I don't need to mention that this is mostly useless for live streams, such as DVB. Either the system is fast enough to transcode in real-time, or you're screwed.
i just begin a project where i need to record channels from a dvb t or s card and send it to a multicast adress in live time. Or to stor it in ahard drive. First i need to buy the DVB t card, do you have any suggestion about the cards that might be compatible with VLC . I tried to transcode some HD video from the Net but my CPU and Memory could not do it my PC stops. Which CPU can you suggest me that can transcod 8 channels and transcode them in live time.
I doubt you can have 8 HD channels on the same transponder, so this is simply impossible. You will need at least one DVB card per transponder. And then the CPU and memory bandwidth required to transcode HD is so high that you may well want to have more than one computer to do it. Of course, the details depend on the codec and expected encoding quality. I can't help to that level of precision.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

dansus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dansus » 23 Mar 2011 03:48

I don't need to mention that this is mostly useless for live streams, such as DVB. Either the system is fast enough to transcode in real-time, or you're screwed.
Works for me. :)

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”