How to stream webcam only when client ready?

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
jsrober
New Cone
New Cone

How to stream webcam only when client ready?

Postby jsrober » 27 Jan 2011 04:35

Hi,

I have a webcam connected to my laptop. I'm using RTSP H.264/AAC (TS) to stream to my Android phone. VLC uses lots of CPU to stream. I assume it's constantly encoding the webcam video to H.264.

I want the encoding to only start when my client (phone) connects. I don't want it otherwise encoding 24x7.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks,
John

my2sense
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How to stream webcam only when client ready?

Postby my2sense » 30 Jan 2011 02:50

You need to set up your webcam as Video on Demand instead of broadcast. I'm using Windows so:

Here's how I did mine (I'm using the HTTPd interface):

Code: Select all

vlc.exe --ttl 12 -vvv --color -I http --rtsp-host 0.0.0.0:554
and used the following VLM commands:

Code: Select all

new cam vod enabled setup cam input "dshow://" setup cam output #transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=230,fps=24,width=160,acodec=mp4a,ab=32,channels=1,samplerate=32000} setup cam option dshow-vdev="QuickCam Pro"
Set dshow-vdev to whatever your camera id is. You might also need to replace the transcode options for your phone.

Using these settings, VLC will only start my cam when I connect to it from my phone (rtsp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:554/cam) which I think is exactly what you're looking for. Hope that helps and good luck.

jsrober
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How to stream webcam only when client ready?

Postby jsrober » 02 Feb 2011 02:00

Thank you so much!!! You are so kind for responding. This is exactly what I want to do. It will take some time for me to get this working, but I'll figure it out.

THANK YOU!

John

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”